Venice Boneyard (8/2-8/3)

ajracrew

Had two extremely productive dives on the Aristakat this weekend. Got out on Friday and Saturday in the boneyard. Conditions were about the same both days:

Flat Seas
Greenish/black looking water
Very clear at the bottom 15-20 feet viz. Could see the boat from the bottom. Still kind of dark and eerie though.
Water temp 84

First day finds: Nice (slightly worn) 3 5/8 inch meg - found before I was even done getting settled at the bottom. Plenty of frags and smaller stuff.
Second day: Area was very spotty and had a quite a bit of silt. The silt wasn't a problem because the visibility was so good. You could swim ten feet off the bottom and find spots to hunt. Found a small patch way out in the silt and saw the outline of a 5 1/8 inch meg (biggest meg to date).. couldn't believe it! Kept swimming over silt and eventually found a spot and picked up a nice piece of mammoth tooth. Kept swimming on the compass bearing and only found silt for a long time. I decided to head a different direction and eventually came upon a large reef with tons of life. Didn't find much around the reef.. not even small teeth. I ended up finding a broken 4 1/8 inch tooth before I left the reef to head back to the boat. I swam towards the sound of the boat until my flag line suddenly got snagged on something and tugged me back. I looked up and saw that I had swam right under the boat and goat my flag stuck on the other side. I looked down at my gauges and saw I had 700 psi.. but also noticed a root sticking out of the sand. I pulled up an extremely nice 4 5/8 inch lower tooth.. directly under the boat! Surfaced right up at the ladder. Perfect dive. When I got up on the boat I noticed a tiny ding in the side of the 4 5/8 inch meg. Bummer. After cleaning it I discovered it was actually a pathology. It looks like the shark slightly damaged the tooth and repaired the small nick. There are serrations inside the indent.

Sorry for the novel.. it was an eventful weekend of diving!

post-6339-0-43336000-1375685852_thumb.jpg

post-6339-0-25767200-1375685869_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajracrew

Could you post more pictures of the tooth located at the bottom right of the first photo please?

very cool... thx for posting

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Could you post more pictures of the tooth located at the bottom right of the first photo please?

Yes I can post a pic later. That meg is missing the right upper corner.. hard to tell from the first pic.

Looks like last week was a good one for the Aristakat. We went out tue, wed and thurs, just missed you. I see you had better luck than me (or anyone on the boat those 3 days for that matter), actually those are the best results I have seen from the kat! My biggest meg was 4.8 and a heartbreaker. That's awesome you found some good big whole ones. Still megs to be found in the boneyard!

post-5100-0-18992600-1375725157_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwbh

Looks like last week was a good one for the Aristakat. We went out tue, wed and thurs, just missed you. I see you had better luck than me (or anyone on the boat those 3 days for that matter), actually those are the best results I have seen from the kat! My biggest meg was 4.8 and a heartbreaker. That's awesome you found some good big whole ones. Still megs to be found in the boneyard!

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

You still did very well! Even though it's always tough finding those heartbreakers, it's still cool to find big megs. The whole trick to the boneyard is finding a place that hasn't been hit hard. There are definitely still a lot of teeth to be found out there. This was definitely my best trip out to Venice ever.

Wow! thanks for the story actually. Nice finds. I hope to get certified and my first charter in FL will be the Aristakat.

Wow! thanks for the story actually. Nice finds. I hope to get certified and my first charter in FL will be the Aristakat.

Good choice. Jaime knows where to go. You'll find some megs.

Even though I didnt find as much as you ajracrew, I went out to Venice and found zero megs two times before this trip. So finding 8 megs, I was very pleased, also from what Jamie has told me you matched about the best results ever on the Ariskakat, way to go! MakoMeCrazy, I agree Capt. Jamie knows where to go, he'll put u on the megs. Although I didnt have luck the first two times, at least someone on the boat has found a meg every time I have gone.

Edited by gwbh