Bryozoan Or Coral "skin" Over Cephalopod

Fossiholic

This is one of my favorite fossils that I found at a road cut at Brookville Lake, Indiana. I am guessing the envelope is a form of bryozoan, but since I had never found one wrapping another organism like this, I wasn't sure.

post-12612-0-35752400-1375733333_thumb.jpg

Thanks . . . for answering my question & pointing out that previous thread. The pics that Herb posted from Kentucky could have been it's twin.

This is one of my favorite fossils that I found at a road cut at Brookville Lake, Indiana. I am guessing the envelope is a form of bryozoan, but since I had never found one wrapping another organism like this, I wasn't sure.

thats very nice I like it :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Nice specimen.

There are two likely bryozoan genera in the Cincinnatian (Upper Ordovician):

Spatiopora sp. http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/trepostomatida/Spatiopora.html

Atactopora sp. http://strata.uga.edu/cincy/fauna/trepostomatida/Atactopora.html

Both known to encrust cephalopods.

I would tentatively put it in Spatiopora only because the monticules appear a bit more regular and aligned. If you found it at one of the Brookville cuts it could be narrowed down to a smaller number of possible species based on described ranges (see above links)

So did they encrust the cephalopods while they were alive? Kinda like barnacles?

So did they encrust the cephalopods while they were alive? Kinda like barnacles?

Good question. :popcorn:

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Good question. :popcorn:

Possibly. Those raised areas (monticules?) appeared to be aligned as if they wouldn't impede movement of the cephalopod. But there are also places were beds of orthocones are all aligned, probably by currents, and the bryozoa could have been responding to that as well.

This paper has some great examples that demonstrate attachment to living cephalopods by zooecia growth / orientation.

Baird, G.C., Brett, C.E., & Frey, R.C. (1989)

"Hitchhiking” epizoans on orthoconic cephalopods: preliminary review of the evidence and its implications.

Senckenbergiana lethaea 69(5):439-465

LINK

This paper also has numerous accounts of bryozoan attachment to trilobites although not as certain on when it occurred.

Key Jr, M.M., Schumacher, G.A., Babcock, L.E., Frey, R.C., Heimbrock, W.P., Felton, S.H., & Schumacher, S.A. (2010)

Paleoecology of commensal epizoans fouling Flexicalymene (Trilobita) from the Upper Ordovician, Cincinnati Arch region, USA.

Journal of Paleontology 84(6):1121-1134

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If the colony completely enwraps the specimen without obvious interruptions, it would argue well for the encrustation to have occurred during the swimming life of the creature, rather than on an empty shell laying on the bottom.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry folks, I haven't been on here for a bit.

It is encrusted on the bottom, but the layer is much much thinner. I would have almost said no, were it not for the "monticules" being able to be faintly seen along the entire length. Again, it is encrusted below, but extremely thin.

Thanks everyone for all of the comments, the links, and other info.

post-12612-0-61785400-1376001147_thumb.jpg

post-12612-0-66279400-1376001161_thumb.jpg