?cetorhinus Maximus?

mormiston

ok, I found a tooth for sale labeled as Cetorhinus maximus (basking shark) looking at the photo, does it look to be a genuine basking shark tooth? It was found at shark tooth hill, and measures 0.303" (7.69 mm). I read that most teeth from the basking shark measure 5-6 mm which would make this one huge. So do you think this is indeed a good basking shark tooth specimen, or from another type of shark? Thanks !!!

post-12735-0-64862100-1376068370_thumb.jpg

I also found this tooth for sale its more of a gray color and is said to be a genuine Cetorhinus maximus tooth from Bakersfield Ca. is it a better example of the basking shark or is the gold colored one the better fossil?

post-12735-0-25939300-1376068716_thumb.jpg

post-12735-0-15944700-1376068726_thumb.jpg

ok, I found a tooth for sale labeled as Cetorhinus maximus (basking shark) looking at the photo, does it look to be a genuine basking shark tooth? It was found at shark tooth hill, and measures 0.303" (7.69 mm). I read that most teeth from the basking shark measure 5-6 mm which would make this one huge. So do you think this is indeed a good basking shark tooth specimen, or from another type of shark? Thanks !!!

It definitely looks like a basking shark tooth. They are extremely common from Bakersfield CA.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I also found this tooth for sale its more of a gray color and is said to be a genuine Cetorhinus maximus tooth from Bakersfield Ca. is it a better example of the basking shark or is the gold colored one the better fossil?

Depends on your color preference. Basking shark teeth from Bakersfield CA can be all sorts of colors. These teeth should be fairly cheap. On just one day, my oldest son found over 100 of them and I found over 50 of them on the Ernst Ranch.

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Wow! That's awesome! I bet you have an amazing collection!!! Thanks for you input. I hope to win one, then try to find a whale shark...lol My son just HAS to have a thing for large sharks with ity bity teeth ;-)

hello,

I like the color. Here is one I've found in my matrix of the Antwerp area that looks good on yours

greetings

Aaron

post-12517-0-38087100-1376189010_thumb.jpg

Nullus finis longius si quod facis delectaris

I agree that it is a basking shark though it might be better to ID it as Cetorhinus sp. rather than C. maximus, the modern species.

These teeth can range from 2-9mm so yours is in there - certainly larger than average.. The STH teeth show some variation in form both in the crown and root.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! That's awesome! I bet you have an amazing collection!!! Thanks for you input. I hope to win one, then try to find a whale shark...lol My son just HAS to have a thing for large sharks with ity bity teeth ;-)

I wouldn't get caught up in the bidding and bid too much. I see basking shark teeth on e-bay a lot of times. I agree with Jess that 7mm is larger than average and is a nice sized tooth for the species. The largest tooth that I have from Bakersfield is 8mm. Also agree with Jess and would use Cetorhinus sp. for the identification.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

Well I'm thrilled to say I won the gold colored basking shark tooth for only $7.99 WOO HOO!

Sadly I lost the whale shark tooth. I'll keep looking though!

Well I'm thrilled to say I won the gold colored basking shark tooth for only $7.99 WOO HOO!

Sadly I lost the whale shark tooth. I'll keep looking though!

I'm glad you got your basking shark tooth. That was a reasonable price especially with the tooth size.

Some people use coin holders, others use gem jars to hold and display micro teeth like your basking shark tooth.

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr