Another Linton Coelacanth Beauty

fossilcrazy

Truly amazing finds.

Have you found any aquatic plants?

Yes, Zapins, I do find plants both aquatic and terrestrial. The terrestrial plants are well documented, the aquatics not so much so. I'll try and round up some examples and post pictures of what the look like.

Wow I hope you save the aquatics! I started an organization for aquatic plant enthusiasts (we have 50 members now!) in Connecticut two years ago where we grow aquatic plants and make underwater landscapes with them. After getting into fossil hunting part of my dream was to find and have an aquatic plant fossil. It will be good to see photos of your finds. Perhaps I can identify some of the species if they haven't changed too much since they were deposited.

Today was another good day at the Linton barrels. The best discovery is nearly complete tail of Ptyonius. The preservation and detail is just impeccable. See for yourself.

post-296-0-65049100-1379185331_thumb.jpg

This is one side of the fossil.

The part and counterpart together looks like this with a ruler to give scale.

post-296-0-49861400-1379185788_thumb.jpg

I'm getting the impression that hoping for a whole one of these will be unrealistic because the size of Ptyonius is much bigger than the average size of my coal lumps.

The part and counterpart together looks like this with a ruler to give scale.

attachicon.gifIMG_1314.JPG

I'm getting the impression that hoping for a whole one of these will be unrealistic because the size of Ptyonius is much bigger than the average size of my coal lumps.

The preservation detail is incredible! Regards, Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Great find with the Ptyonius.

Did you find any aquatic plants yet? I'm dying to see pictures :)

Edited by Zapins

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd share yet another Rhabdoderma Coelacanth I found last week. Just loving that scale preservation.

post-296-0-67185100-1385321709_thumb.jpg

This one is 11cm missing the tail.

post-296-0-63691300-1385321749_thumb.jpg

Now days it is too cold in New York to be splitting coal. I'm done until Spring.

I did pretty good over the Fall. Now there are over three dozen 8" X 12" Riker mounts worth of Linton finds.

Wow John!

Another beauty to add to your collection!

Congratulations.

Neat how those scales only really show up under certain lighting conditions!

Thanks for posting this - how many more barrels left? :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

These specimens are nothing short of incredible! Congrats on your finds and on having had the chance to collect at such a unique locality. Looking forwards to seeing more discoveries ;).

Wow John!

Another beauty to add to your collection!

Congratulations.

Neat how those scales only really show up under certain lighting conditions!

Thanks for posting this - how many more barrels left? :)

Regards,

Now I'm down to two and a half barrels of Cannel Coal.They will need to wait until Spring.

It will be sad to be done and know there is no more. Linton will join the ranks of other Pennsylvanian Lagerstatten like 5 Points,Ohio and Nytrany, CZ; never to produce again.

As coal gets abandoned as an energy source, it is unlikely new Lagerstatten will be discovered. It is kind of similar to Mazon spoil heaps. No new mine spoils no more fossils.

John;

Congratulations on another incredible find. With all of your amazing amphibian and reptile finds it's easy to forget this all started with a coelacanth. So glad you found another and this one certainly is a beaut. Yeah, great scales. Can't wait for spring, (for many reasons) to hear about the finds I know you'll have then. Best wishes and happy winter.

Jeff

All of these fossils here put mine to shame. Those Coelacanths are jaw-dropping, as are the parts of the amphibian. :drool:

I like crinoids......

All of these fossils here put mine to shame. Those Coelacanths are jaw-dropping, as are the parts of the amphibian. :drool:

On the contrary, Alabama has some really neat fossils. I'd love to be out hunting for Euctaw formation eocene plants, Burlington formation Crinoids and Blastoids, Drusy Fossil wood from Brilliant, AL, Union Chapel formation Reptile tracks, and Black Warrior Basin coal age plants. I suppose it's easy to get jaded and accustom to the local fossils in our own back yard. To someone else it's an eye opening whole new world of wonderful things. I seriously doubt you have fossils that would be anything to be shameful of. The grass is pretty green on your side of the fence too!

I found something I didn't expect in Linton coal. Here is a very large scale from a Sagenodus Lungfish. The owner of this coat of armor must have been huge.

post-296-0-69777900-1386358720_thumb.jpg post-296-0-36139500-1386358686_thumb.jpg

I'm just glad you decided to go get that rock !!! - this really sets the bar high for my "Fossil hunting wish list" !!!!!!! - Thanks much for sharing & Congrats !!!

Nice scale John!

Wonderful detail on that.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I found a drawing of Sagenotus. If my calculations are right, judging by the size of my scale, the fish it came from was about 5 feet long.

Sagenotus looks more like an eel than a typical fish.

post-296-0-85303100-1386369762_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilcrazy

That's an enormous scale. I recall there was a lobefin at Red Hill, PA that also has big scales. I'm not talking about Hyneria. That one had big scales too, but not as big as this fish. Yours though has monster scales. Linton must have been some wild place back in the day. Again, an amazing cross section of Carboniferous fauna. Congratulations on this and your many other incredible finds.

That's an enormous scale. I recall there was a lobefin at Red Hill, PA that also has big scales. I'm not talking about Hyneria. That one had big scales too, but not as big as this fish. Yours though has monster scales. Linton must have been some wild place back in the day. Again, an amazing cross section of Carboniferous fauna. Congratulations on this and your many other incredible finds.

I think you are referring to Holoptychius and yes they were big scales there too. Equally fascinating to find.

Last week I was going through some Linton coal that was not Cannel coal, but a hard bituminous coal next to it. Very rarely are there any fossils in it.

There was this time. Here are the part and counterpart to an Amphibian tooth belonging to Leptophractus obsoletus.

Negative side post-296-0-53410700-1386436118_thumb.jpg Positive side post-296-0-26824900-1386436137_thumb.jpg

Here is a drawing depiction of Leptophractus obsoletus as illustrated by D. Bogdanov

post-296-0-43336800-1386436338_thumb.jpg

Comparing my tooth to the drawing, click on this picture again and the drawing correlates well to the actual size of the individual my tooth belongs.

He looks like he could give one nasty bite.

I found a drawing of Sagenotus. If my calculations are right, judging by the size of my scale, the fish it came from was about 5 feet long.

Sagenotus looks more like an eel than a typical fish.

attachicon.gifSagenotus complete.jpg

Amazing how little some things change..

Picture credit to: http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/family/170

NeoceratodusForsteriCalAcad.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."