Paraloid B-72

FossilDudeCO

Looking into getting some Paraloid B-72 as a sealant for some of my plant fossils on paper shale as well as some green river fish I have been prepping for the last couple weeks.

Does anyone know where I can get it other than online?

I found 2 sources, 1 is $16 for 200g

The other is $15.50 for 1 pound (approx. 450g)

but with both of them, shipping is as much as the product itself!

I am out in Colorado.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a sealant I'd be willing to hear them here as well, I'm just very familiar with the B-72 as it is what we use at the museum.

However they bulk order it in 10 pound canisters through their chemical supply company. (10 pounds might be a hair too much for personal use.)

Price doesn't really matter to me if it is a good product, I'd rather get something that will outlast me.

They offered to order me a 10 pound tub if I was willing to pay for it, It would be about $140 after tax.

These guys use a 10 pound tub over the course of a couple months but I only have about 30 fossils I'd like to use it on :P

Maybe some members would be willing to split the cost with me if I ordered a tub?

I only want about 1 pound for myself depending on the interest I could split the remaining 9 pounds into 1 pound or even half pound bags.

I can help with the mixture details if need be, it's just a simple Weight/Volume ratio.

The museum uses a 15-20% mixture for reinforcements and a 50%+ mixture for bonding. (mixed with Acetone you can get at your hardware store, ladies DO NOT USE YOUR NAIL POLISH REMOVER.)

They just didn't want to have to sell from their stock because they really don't have a way to invoice me for it, by ordering through their company I can get a separate invoice to pay on my own.

Edited by Sully

Thanks Metopocetus! looks like they have a better price on a 10 pound container too in case some other members were interested.

I will contact them to see about how much shipping would be and will update the price if it is better.

I found this one as well. They sell it in 1Kg packages. http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/Detail.bok?no=703

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I found this one as well. They sell it in 1Kg packages. http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/Detail.bok?no=703

That might be a good bet if I'm going on my own, the shipping for that is the same shipping as it would be for the 200g and 450g packages I found. 1kilo is still a lot for one person to use though. it would be $44USD for that though with shipping

The link Meto sent me a 10 pound (approx. 4.48kg) package would be $118 with shipping to me.

We are getting cheaper!

Look at all those supplies!! very nice, might be a bit expensive to ship across the pond though.

Shoo just did the exchange rate, would cost me almost $19 at the exchange rate for that 100g package, over seas probably not such a good idea.

How long has this been available overseas just out of curiosity? (Or rather how long have you been using it)

I use this guy out of Santa Barbara, California. I buy the 1kg of pellets and mix my own with acetone to a specific mix. Deal on the 1lb isnt bad considering how much people charge for pre-mix, bought the 1kg last year and am still only halfway through it with a lot of repair and consolidation behind me.

http://www.conservationsupportsystems.com/product/show/acryloid-paraloid-b-72/acryloid

Shipping for me was free and probably the same to Colorado.

For fish and seaweed, I use a 17% mix and brush on the glue lightly.

Edited by AncientEarth

Thanks AncientEarth! Yeah with that price on the 1kg I might just do that, I'll have to call about shipping today to see what they say. Looks like they have lots of options there!

They offered to order me a 10 pound tub if I was willing to pay for it, It would be about $140 after tax.

These guys use a 10 pound tub over the course of a couple months but I only have about 30 fossils I'd like to use it on :P

Maybe some members would be willing to split the cost with me if I ordered a tub?

I only want about 1 pound for myself depending on the interest I could split the remaining 9 pounds into 1 pound or even half pound bags.

I can help with the mixture details if need be, it's just a simple Weight/Volume ratio.

The museum uses a 15-20% mixture for reinforcements and a 50%+ mixture for bonding. (mixed with Acetone you can get at your hardware store, ladies DO NOT USE YOUR NAIL POLISH REMOVER.)

They just didn't want to have to sell from their stock because they really don't have a way to invoice me for it, by ordering through their company I can get a separate invoice to pay on my own.

Hi Sully: I would take 3 pounds if you can find any others to split up the 10 lbs.

Thanks for the post Steelhead, I will let you know! I have emailed for shipping prices and should hear back tomorrow, I'll keep your name aside and maybe start a thread in member sales for orders.

Thanks,

Sully

Is Paraloid B-72 strictly a sealant and adhesive? Or does it consolidate materials like others have used Butvar 76 for?

My question is why put a sealant on green river fish? Even a thin layer of paraloid will obscure the details. Are the fossils falling apart? If not, I wouldn't bother. Same for the plants and insects. Kirk Johnson (who used to be there at the Denver Museum) has told me to only put preservative on plants as a last resort. Yours may be if they are in paper shales, but if not....

have you tried PaleoBond as a source?

Yes my plants are all from Florissant in paper shales.

As for the fish, I was told to seal them to make sure they don't flake away.

The suggestion was to use Elmers glue to seal them, but I KNOW that it will just turn yellow and look hideous.

Is Paraloid B-72 strictly a sealant and adhesive? Or does it consolidate materials like others have used Butvar 76 for?

Paraloid can be used for all of the above. You can mix it to whatever consistency you need. I have 2 seperate containers that I mix. One is a 50/50 w/w mix for gluing and the other is 20% w/v mix for consolidation. Here is a great paper from Amy Davidson and Gregory Brown on Paraloid B-72.

Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator.pdf

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...