Fined $150 To Fossil Hunt

MakoMeCrazy

Here is a story filled with crazy events that Zach and I experienced on our trip to the creek. I'll cut right to the action since this is going to be long. After lunch we visited another part of the creek. We parked behind a post office and there weren't any "No Parking Signs" in front of where we parked. We saw some no parking signs along the building, but we didn't see any in front of where we parked. After hunting, we came back and I immediately noticed that the car was gone. Just gone. No where to be found. I was devastated and I panicked a little. We were 2 hrs away from home, my parents were in Raleigh, I had $30 in my wallet...and my phone was still broken sitting in my dresser at home ( I was using my brothers flip phone). We went into the post office and the guy at the counter told us that our car was towed a couple hours ago. He gave us the address to the towing place, gave directions and told us to start walking. It was quite a way down the road and we would be walking in waders and soaked clothing. We were only visiting Greenville for the day and we didn't know the outline of the city too well. Instead of walking, Zach called his mom because she is a realtor and she has agents in Greenville that could pick us up and hopefully drop us off at the towing place so that we could get our car back. So Zachs' mom called the realtor office and the agent there called his wife and she picked us up from the back of the post office because we didn't feel like walking 5 miles to go and randomly look for a towing place that MIGHT have my car; in the middle of Greenville. Anyway, we eventually get there and we walk in expecting a fine of maybe $50 max. We ask how much the towing fine is and we both thought he said $25. We were like oh yeah! only $25! So I put $25 on the counter and I was expecting everything to be fine. But he said no, it's $125. Our jaws dropped and we felt a wave of panic over our body. Again, we only had $30 and we were 2 hrs from home. To make it even better, he only accepted cash, so forget about calling home to give a credit card # or writing a check. So we sat there wondering how in the world we were going to get the car back with $30. Then I remembered RickNC lived in Greenville and I thought I could call and everything would be fine, but no, my phone was broken and at home. I brought my bro's old flip phone and he only had 2 contacts in there. I didn't have Rick's number, so I called home (oh and the towing place was closing in 10 minutes. seriously.) and got my brother to look through the yellow pages online so we could find Rick's phone number. My brother found his address on the yellow pages, but his phone number wasn't there. I was just thought "Oh snarge we're screwed. This place is closing in 10 minutes and we have to wait outside all night until all the employees come back the next morning." Finally I told my brother to go to Rick's facebook page and look for his contact info. Went to his info and of course with our luck, his number wasn't on his info page. My bro had to pm him and ask him for his number so that I could call him because he didn't know my # since I was using my bro's phone. Anyway, we eventually got through and asked him if he could come pay this fine so that we could go home. The fine was $125 before closing time (6pm) and we had 2 or 3 minutes before the place closed. Rick was extra speedy and got there in about 5 minutes after closing and gave me the $125. We were past closing times and I was fined another $25 just so I could pay the $125. In total, I got to pay $150 to get my car back and drive back 2+ hours. Although it was not the ideal fossil hunting trip, we got to share a pretty interesting story with all of you. We would both like to thank Rick for being a life saver and allowing us to go home that day. THANK YOU RICK!! :) Watch out for those evil no parking signs and don't fossil hunt in restricted fossil hunting areas! Hope you all enjoyed the story.

YES, I DO FEEL STUPID FOR PARKING IN A NO-PARKING ZONE. IT WAS COMPLETELY OUR FAULT AND WE DESERVE TO PAY EVERY PENNY OF THE FINE. I will never park there again. The fact that it was move in day at ECU didn't help one bit. Watch where you park.

~MakoMeCrazy

Here's the video!

Do you guys think that tooth is a mosasaur, croc, or gator tooth?

post-6564-0-05765500-1376841874_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-41454700-1376841901_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-55807200-1376841928_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-64717600-1376841948_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-37438800-1376841968_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-44204300-1376841990_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-75185000-1376842013_thumb.jpg

post-6564-0-07416500-1376842034_thumb.jpg

lol i had fun man! would do it again!! good editing skills to!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

WOW - so sorry to hear about a frustrating end to an otherwise great day. It's sure good to have friends that are willing to come to your rescue! Kudos to Rick.

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

It's a mosasaur tooth. You should post a picture of the scute you mentioned in the video. I think it is a ray denticle but the video is too dark for me to see.

sorry about the car but other than that it looks like a pretty good hunting expedition!

Congrats on those teeth!

Paragraphs my friend, paragraphs! Definitely a mosasaur tooth, I went out there for a couple hours yesterday and found one just like it. That ray denticle is a good find, I've only found one so far like that. Glad I was able to help you guys out.

Paragraphs my friend, paragraphs! Definitely a mosasaur tooth, I went out there for a couple hours yesterday and found one just like it. That ray denticle is a good find, I've only found one so far like that. Glad I was able to help you guys out.

I actually wrote it out on a word document and pasted it in there, but all the indentations were erased. Next time.

lol i had fun man! would do it again!! good editing skills to!

Yeah, we've learned our lesson. Thanks!

Edited by MakoMeCrazy

It's a mosasaur tooth. You should post a picture of the scute you mentioned in the video. I think it is a ray denticle but the video is too dark for me to see.

Awesome, my first decent mosasaur tooth! Here's the ray dentricle. I think I have a couple of these. Thanks for the ID.

post-6564-0-41947100-1376865417_thumb.jpg

I actually wrote it out on a word document and pasted it in there, but all the indentations were erased. Next time.

Would take two seconds ha ha. Just difficult to read.

Kudos Rick for helping them out. And great finds you two.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Love to read the "Zach and MakoMeCrazy" adventures.

haha thanks. We need to hunt again soon brian!

Glad you guys made out ok--what is the name of that towing company? I definitely wont use them if I ever need one. $25 for 5 min overtime is crappy to be sure. What ever happened to Southern hospitality?

Glad you guys made out ok--what is the name of that towing company? I definitely wont use them if I ever need one. $25 for 5 min overtime is crappy to be sure. What ever happened to Southern hospitality?

a and B towing on 9th street.

Good on you Rick.

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

It's good to have TFF friends to help us out in case we ever need it.

It sounds like it wasn't entirely your fault - the signage should have been clear if that kind of money is at stake. I would raise a stink about that.