West Texas Trip

JamieLynn

Headed out West a few weeks ago. People think I'm crazy to go to West Texas during August, but actually, it's the rainy season, so it's really quite nice! Big thunderstorms, spectacular sunsets and a favorite fossil road cut! I never find much and I'm just an amateur so don't expect anything outstanding, but I love what I do find! This time I found some large crinoid stems, a really nice largish sea fan (?) specimen (in black!), some coral and I think an echinoid plate? (the little knobby thing nexg to the crinoid) Also, found what I am assuming is inside of a chrinoid bulb? Any ideas on that?

post-11255-0-06998200-1376856785_thumb.jpg

post-11255-0-75281900-1376856786_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamieLynn

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

West Texas...not sure what part of western Texas you mean but do you know a place called Marathon and have you ever collected limestone matrix from the Glass Mountains? I had a chunk given to me and I used acid to free a lot of neat fossils. I'd like to get some more some day. Perhaps this area is more southwest Texas.

have you ever collected limestone matrix from the Glass Mountains? I had a chunk given to me and I used acid to free a lot of neat fossils. I'd like to get some more some day.

I would love to collect some of that Glass Mountains matrix. Few things are more fun than etching out silicified fossils, especially the small stuff that can be examined under the microscope.

Context is critical.