A Few Preps From My 2013 Trip To France

Everhardus

post-3442-0-12918300-1376859901_thumb.jpgpost-3442-0-02242800-1376859923_thumb.jpgpost-3442-0-73767300-1376860006_thumb.jpgpost-3442-0-10770400-1376860074_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I'm just a few weeks back from my summer trip to France. I've hunted several good places and the finds, ammonites mainly, were very good allthough the quality was sometimes somewhat dissapointing.

Just wanted to show you a few preps i did from a particulair spot in the Aveyron where the preservation most of the time is pretty good.

First two specimens are Hildoceras bifrons, last two Harpoceras elegans or Harpoceras exaratum, i'm not quite sure....

Looking forward to my next trip allready.

Enjoy, greetz,Marcel

Welcome 'home'; these ammonites are very beautiful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes Marcel, those are very nice indeed. Just curious--Do you ever find pyritized belemnites along with the ammonites?

Congrats on the finds--they cleaned up well! Regards, Chris

Thanks guys for the comments. Along with these finds it's possible to find pyritised belemnite phragmocones as well. Sizes of these ammo's are around 3 to 4 cm but i've found a few ammo's on this spot about twice this size on previous occasions. As a matter of fact, i did find bigger ones this trip too, sadly with a lot of damage though so they won't turn out as nice as these ones.

Hi,

Here's another one i'm currently prepping, it's not quite finshed yet. For determination purposes i normally make pictures as i did with this one. Doing this i might as welpost-3442-0-88322200-1377180303_thumb.jpgl show this one to you. I'm not quite sure which one it is, maybe Hildoceras tethysi.

greetz,Marcel

Wonderful prep!

How are you warding off pyrite disease?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nope, i still don't have a air-abrader ( planning to get one though...). I use a dremel with a steel-brush to remove 95 % of the matrix, after that scapel and needles to remove hard to reach matrix. Sometimes with really good ones i use Rewoquat but i tend to be carefull with this since it also dissolves matrix on places where there's damage, which is very often the case. So they are easy to prep, only takes a lot of time if you want to get these results.

To prevent pyrite disease i let them in ammonia-fumes for 24 hours, then after a day sealing off with Paraloid b-72, 3 times....

I did some reading on the subject, so with the limited posibilities i have this is what i can do. I've read the pyrite of the Aveyron is pretty stable as opposed to pyrite from Charmouth (UK) for example....i have reasons to believe why this is true, seen beautiful pieces go to waste with fellow collectors. Most of them were either not sealed of at all or treated with artist varnish which is what i was told to do in the UK. I don't believe in this method anymore, Paraloid suits me just fine...

I guess i'm slowing down the process and i'm convinced i'll have these for years to come but eventually i will also will loose the odd one.....

greetz,marcel