Eastern Slope Of Alberta Rockies.

Ridgehiker

Judging from the torrents and floods that closed much of Trans-Continental Highway 1 a month or so ago; a whole new crop of rocks must have been turned over in every ravine.

When I was in Alberta last, I saw a young boy about 9 years old with an amazing jar of dark shiny Carnivore teeth he found near Drumheller. I would have loved to buy, barter or

beg for that jar. It wasn't to be, since I believe even back then no fossils could leave the province. When I think of the history portrayed at the Royal Tyrell, I think of a saying

"What happens in Alberta stays in Alberta".

I could just live in the Canadian Rocky's if it wasn't for the Bears. Natural beauty while collecting Prehistoric beauty. It doesn't get much better than that.

Fossil crazy...I've hiked and worked in the Rockies and Arctic on and off a couple decades. Incidences with bears....zero. I don't carry bear spray or anything else. Now this word can be scarier...winter.

Funny stat....one in 16 thousand Americans murders someone in a year....one in 750 thousand black bears kills someone. Usually nobody killed by a Grizzly.

Having said that, when I swim in the ocean, I can get the 'willies' if I start over thinking about sharks.

About your mention of fossils in jars. Here's a variation of 'guess how many jelly beans in the pickle jars' I play with kids. 'Guess the number of vertebrae'.

post-12698-0-64689800-1377289574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ridgehiker

Those blastoids are exciting! Be sure to keep a record of which ones were found in which layers/etc. If they're not yet studied you might be the one to provide the specimens....

About your mention of fossils in jars. Here's a variation of 'guess how many jelly beans in the pickle jars' I play with kids. 'Guess the number of vertebrae'.

i GUESS 111 :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Squali...low. But, if you were here (and under 18 ), youget to choose a consolation prize, Dino bone or shark tooth.