Check It Out! Fossils Are Under Yur Nose!

paleoRicklis

Amateur fossil hunters may not know this, but I am sure that professional paleontologist s can tell you that: fossils are absolutely not rare! Imagine this, an animal dies and the fossilization prosecc begins. There are animals and life practically everywhere, is that not true? And a fossilization prosecc does not need to take millions of years, it is good enough that some sand piles up on a shell and hardens, or that a shell, after being stuck there we time, but that time can be a few months or a few hundred years! Then it may fall off and you have a natural cast. Are we on the same page? Point is, fossils are not rare at all, and if you haven't realized that from your own fossil hunting experience, think about it the next time you go. If your a fossil hunter that goes in for the value, selling, and big things, find the places with best specimens, if you wish, but if your in for the collecting and the experience, you do not have to travel far. If you feel like something cool, go ahead, but if you do not youbcannfind perfectly good things very cool things to where you live. I went to captola and found clams, whale bones, and a squid. The bones and squid, though we're stuck in the rock and we could not get them out! Be careful not to take to much stuff if you go there(purisma formation, capitola beach), because too much is illegal:( there were also tiny Gastropods but they were stuck! Plus it is always finding nice shells, even if it not fossilized, the shells we found, I am not sure about their age but I am guessing around 1000-1500 years old. You can look for them on the beach the next time you go, no one even needs to tell that! Have fun!

I forgot to add, there are more fossils you might find. I found the site here on the forum, but you can look for general fossil sites still available or just try if you have the time, and if you cannot find, make it a nice trip!