Bothrodendron: New Specimens

RomanK

You can see the point of branches attachment at this new Bothrodendron bark specimen.

post-814-0-97983000-1377531006_thumb.jpg

The Stigmaria fragment among the Bothrodendron leafy branches and bark fragment. Hope the Bothrodendron's Stigmaria.

post-814-0-91343900-1377530993_thumb.jpg

Bothrodendron decorticated stem.

post-814-0-30245800-1377530985_thumb.jpg

Thanks, this is so informative. I'm really learning what to look for if I ever come across this type of material. Otherwise, always lots of question marks.

Lots of useful photos info on your photobucket site and I bookmarked it for reference.

Wonderfully detailed specimens, Roman; the preservation is amazing (as are your photography skills)!

To anyone viewing these images: be sure to click on them again after enlarging the thumbnails!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, this is so informative. I'm really learning what to look for if I ever come across this type of material. Otherwise, always lots of question marks.

Lots of useful photos info on your photobucket site and I bookmarked it for reference.

Thank you Northstar! Lot of questions about Bothrodendron life cycle are still opened.

Branch dichotomy

post-814-0-85875100-1377540645_thumb.jpg

Wonderfully detailed specimens, Roman; the preservation is amazing (as are your photography skills)!

To anyone viewing these images: be sure to click on them again after enlarging the thumbnails!

Thank you Chaz! I spent lot of time to understand what the Bothrodendron is. Nobody yet know it habit and stage of development for sure. You can see two rows of the branch scars surrounding by leaf ones. The lateral branches (exclusively anisotomous) is the most intriguing thing in Bothrodendron habit. As a differense between vegetative and fertile branches. As "ulodendroid scars" at the stem. Lot of questions have to be opend...

post-814-0-33812000-1377541934_thumb.jpg

Hi Roman, more great stuff! So do you think you are just dealing with just the two species of Bothrodendron...punctatum and minutifolium? Are there enough diagnostic features to say for sure? I've seen other species mentioned in other parts of the world...like B kidstoni, and B. depereti and others. Regards, Chris

Hi Roman, more great stuff! So do you think you are just dealing with just the two species of Bothrodendron...punctatum and minutifolium? Are there enough diagnostic features to say for sure? I've seen other species mentioned in other parts of the world...like B kidstoni, and B. depereti and others. Regards, Chris

Hi Chris! Thank you! The diagnostic is too weak and unclear as for me. Yes, I know other kind (species) of Bothrodendron but B.punctatum and minutifolium appeared at the middle Pennsylvanian - age of my finds. Regards, Roman

post-814-0-30461300-1377627019_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

Scheme of the found Bothrodendron stem. You can see that small scars destroy the leaf scar pattern

attachicon.gifbranchescheme.jpg

Interesting observation!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Roman.... Great finds and observations....

I'm glad yourself, Tim & Chris still post on here... There are lots of collectors moving onto ' Lets be famous facebook ' forums and ignoring the forums, the roots of our hobby that have evolved over many years...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Chris! Thank you! The diagnostic is too weak and unclear as for me. Yes, I know other kind (species) of Bothrodendron but B.punctatum and minutifolium appeared at the middle Pennsylvanian - age of my finds. Regards, Roman

attachicon.gifsiteplace.jpg

Interesting to see how fairly rare they are. Interesting to also note as you are aware they did have a very small range. B. punctatum apparently shows up also in rocks of Nova Scotia,Canada. They apparently took advantage for a short while of having the continents together back then.

Regards, Chris

Roman.... Great finds and observations....

I'm glad yourself, Tim & Chris still post on here... There are lots of collectors moving onto ' Lets be famous facebook ' forums and ignoring the forums, the roots of our hobby that have evolved over many years...

Thank you Steve! I'm still the "TFF patriot" though publish my finds at FB as well.

Interesting to see how fairly rare they are. Interesting to also note as you are aware they did have a very small range. B. punctatum apparently shows up also in rocks of Nova Scotia,Canada. They apparently took advantage for a short while of having the continents together back then.

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris! I've read that article (Thomas et al. - Leafy branches of Bothrodendron punctatum from the Westphalian D (Asturian) of Nova Scotia, Canada, Atlantic Geology, 2010). Another interesting article about Bothrodendron (by C. Wnuk) - Ontogeny and paleoecology of the middle Pennsylvanian arborescent lycopod Bothrodendron punctatum, Amer. J. Bot., 1989, where shown the B. reconstruction. But now I'm not sure whether that reconstruction right.

According to this three specimen of Bothrodendron I have found at different time appearence of slim lateral branches (from 3 to 10 mm in diameter) at the thin stem (20-80 mm diam.) is quite common. Average distanse between the branch scars is some 20-25mm.

post-814-0-11001600-1377684960_thumb.jpg

These samples show that the appearance of the series of thin (3-5 mm) shoots was no exception. Their role is not very clear. Small vegetative shoots to enhance photosynthesis, the shedding shoots for vegetative propagation, fertile (doubtful) or other destination. In general, it turns out that the architecture (habit) of the whole plant included a set of branches with different functional load. Rather, all the branches eventually reliased. On the trunk and main secondary axes of a different order could arise fertile shoots, which were located very close on the surface of the trunk (branches), that scars over time sometimes overlap. In addition, there were the branches that form the crown (after the first dichotomy), which obviously did not bear cones. And there were areas at the axes with rows of thin shoots, as shown at the photo.

Edited by RomanK