Shark Tooth Island(Wilmington) 8-25

Elodin

I felt like getting out of the house for a bit, so I made another trip out to Shark Tooth Island. Of course, I didn't check the tide tables and when I got there it was about an hour or two until high tide peaked. Still, it was better than sitting around for a few hours.

post-12711-0-41006400-1377536284_thumb.jpg

To the spoils go the hunters, and to the hunters go the fossils!

Good job (and nice echinoid) :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is that an Otodus on the left? Wouldn't be surprised with all the Paleocene Bald Head Shoals formation on that spoil island.

Is that an Otodus on the left? Wouldn't be surprised with all the Paleocene Bald Head Shoals formation on that spoil island.

I've no idea, I haven't gotten around to learning how to identify teeth yet haha. I'll try to clean it up a bit and get better pictures of it though.

To the spoils go the hunters, and to the hunters go the fossils!

Good job (and nice echinoid) :)

Thanks, it's the first one hat I've found

No luck cleaning the tooth, the sediment is caked on pretty well. I'm not sure if I want to use a nail to try and scratch it off, as that would probably damage the tooth

that's Castle Hayne Limestone (from the basal lag) on the tooth and should come off with vinegar dips, go easy with the dips, I wouldn't leave anything in vinegar for long periods of time, the tooth could be Paleocarcharodon, check for serrations once it's cleaned, the echinoid looks like Echinolampas appendiculata

Edited by Plax

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out when I get back home.

There are serrations, they can be seen from the other side of it.