Recent Summer Finds

hokiehunter

I haven't been out much lately as I've been focusing more on fishing than fossil hunting (the striper and drum bite this summer has been unbelievable) but the few trips I have made have all produced at least one gem fossil for the display case. Attached are the best of's from the trip. A few really nice makos up to 2.5", a HUGE cow at 1.125", and probably the rarest tooth I have ever found in terms of where it was found and the chances of ever finding one... A huge modern bull shark tooth!!!! You just don't find these in the bay area. They are near impossible to see against the shell hash and just not that many of them around.

Happy hunting to all. The fall season is just around the corner. :-)

post-2363-0-47072900-1377953615_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-74324100-1377953622_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-26795300-1377953631_thumb.jpg

Wow amazing finding a modern bull shark tooth in the bay

Look close; despite the color, I believe it is fossil.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Auspex, pretty sure it is modern. When I picked it up the root actually appeared porous and I swear it had a little tinge of red (i.e. blood vessels) to it before i rinsed and dried it. I've also shown it to a bunch of other very experienced collectors and without prodding that's been the first word out of the mouth every time. That in combination with the fact that I have 1,000+ teeth from this site and nothing even comes close to this color lead me to the modern conclusion. I do know of a formation in the region that produces white teeth but this location is far away from that one and is also near/part of an active bull pupping ground.

Either way though it's a cool tooth to me and it has found itself a home at the center of one of my display boxes. :-)

Still, it has a certain patina:

post-423-0-00894500-1378058833_thumb.jpgpost-423-0-10521700-1378058846_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Okidoki, dang......the Cow Shark is just splendid! Gorgeous color too! Yep, I am soooooo ready for the Fall collecting season here. :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Beautiful! My kids and I hunt in VA as well, but haven't had that kind of luck. Would love some tips if you have any to share!