Ammonite And Other Id Please

ViridianFish

Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever post, and I just wanted to let you all know that I am new to fossil hunting, but enjoy it very much. It is quite difficult for me to do on a regular basis as I live in an area of Australia that has very few interesting geological deposits, and is very low in available fossils.

On a recent trip to the Uk I visited Folkestone, but as it was the middle of summer at the time, there was very little recent exposure at the base of the cliffs due to lack of rainfall. I know nothing I found here is particularly impressive, but I would love to know exactly what they are.

They were all found in the Gualt Clay or on the foreshore.

I'm thinking the Ammonite could be either a Euhoplites lautus or an ahoplites planus. It is around 2.3cm in diameter.

Ammonite.jpg

The first Belemnite Guard is almost exactly 3cm in length.

Belemnite.jpg

• The small belemnite is 2cm. I think it is a Neohibolite.

Neohibolite #2.jpg

Neohibolite.jpg

• Finally, a tiny ammonite. It is only around 0.8cm in diameter. I found a few of these.

Tiny ammonite.jpg

• I can take more photos in better lighting if needed.

• Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Thanks,

Alice

The first belemnite I believe to be Neohibolites ernsti, and the second "small" one is Neohibolites minimus I think. Ask me not about the ammonites; I don't collect them often enought to be able to give you any information. Talk to Thomas about the ammonites from the Gault Clay.

All the best,

Thomas

The first belemnite I believe to be Neohibolites ernsti, and the second "small" one is Neohibolites minimus I think. Ask me not about the ammonites; I don't collect them often enought to be able to give you any information. Talk to Thomas about the ammonites from the Gault Clay.

All the best,

Thomas

Hi. Do you know how to ID belemnites from Folkestone? I have many of them at home and would love to be able to ID them. I believe, all of them are Neohibolites minimus, but I am not completelly sure.

As you probably know, the Gault Clay at Folkestone (and the Lower Greensand beneath, which is also exposed) is essentially Lower Cretaceous. I believe Neohibolites may be the only Coleoid genus reported from the Gault at that location and certainly N. minimus would be the most frequent find.

Praeactinocamax primus has also been reported, but I think not at all commonly so and not strictly from the Gault - but perhaps from the junction bed on top. Praeactinocomax would usually be from the earliest stage of the Upper Cretaceous.

These links should help:

http://www.gaultammonite.co.uk/Pages/Link_Pages/Other_Cephalopoda_Link.htm

http://www.ukfossils.co.uk/guides/belemnites.htm

http://fossilidentification.weebly.com/belemnites.html

[Addition: Sorry, meant to say, this should help for Gault ammonites, although it's a little tedious clicking through all the links:

http://www.gaultammonite.co.uk/Pages/Link_Pages/Ammonites_Link.htm

As Fitch says, a ventral view would help narrow down the possibilities]

Edited by painshill
  • I found this Informative 2

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thank you. But even when there would be only 1 genus (Neohibolites), it could be nice to be able to identify its species and varieties.

The belemnites are Neohibolites minimus var. obtusus.

The first ammonite is either Dimorphoplites or an Upper Gault Epihoplites. I would think it is the latter based on the ribbing, but would need a ventral view to be sure.

The last ammonite is a little Anahoplites.

• I found this Informative 2

The belemnites are Neohibolites minimus var. obtusus.

The first ammonite is either Dimorphoplites or an Upper Gault Epihoplites. I would think it is the latter based on the ribbing, but would need a ventral view to be sure.

The last ammonite is a little Anahoplites.

Thanks for the correction Thomas

Ernsti, oxycaudatus and praeultimus have stratigraphical significance (minimus generally disappears in the highest beds of the upper gault) but are extremely difficult to distinguish if found as loose guards on the beach. N. ultimus is known from the lower albian mammillatum zone. A very fat early form of N. minimus obtusus can be found just above the sulphur band at the base of the gault, but is rare. Belemnites don't become common until the intermedius subzone.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much everyone, you are all extremely helpful!

Fitch1979- (and everyone interested suppose)

Here are some pictures of the ventral side and back of the ammonite (as you can see, it is is very bad condition, but I think it is interesting to see the seperate chambers)

Hope this helps,

Alice

post-13057-0-42709600-1380509668_thumb.jpg

post-13057-0-40520600-1380509680_thumb.jpg

post-13057-0-69624400-1380509684_thumb.jpg