Somewhere Lost In The Fog In The Deep Heart Of Picardy,france

nala

I just find a new site,very close to my house with nice shark teeth of the Campanien(Cretaceous),Thanks for your help Patrick! :fistbump::)

post-2325-0-42317000-1378295548_thumb.jpgonly few meters of small cliffs in the countryside :o

post-2325-0-44263800-1378295777_thumb.jpgyou have to look what you take,it hurt :D

post-2325-0-10494600-1378295891_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-16833700-1378295911_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-48798800-1378295927_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

I was up there last week in remote areas of Picardy for my job, unfortunately with no spare time to investigate...

Next time I will reconsider! :)

Nala, that is a beautiful Squalicorax. The Campanian is in my neighborhood as well.

Our material has been reworked and teeth that pristine are rare.

Thanks for the pictures.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

attachicon.gifIMG_6899.JPG the game is to find the shark teeth :D

First off, that looks like a spectacular spot! Congrats on finding a productive location close to home! I am curious, I have mostly Permian stuff around me (unless I drive 3-5 hours away) which is pretty difficult to hunt at times and generally has relatively low quality fossils. Certainly not so many quallity fossils in one piece of matrix! My question is, are shark teeth so prevalent in this formation that it is common to find disarticulated teeth from various species in such close proximity to eachother??? (if you can't tell, I'm a little jealous!) :D

Gery.... Beautiful teeth... That sites certainly worth some attention....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Steve and JeepDigger,i don't know why this site is so rich in shark teeth,perhaps because not many people hunt in this really difficult to find location? :) I find many shells and parts of echinoids Also

post-2325-0-30039900-1378324644_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-84455700-1378324659_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-35065400-1378324676_thumb.jpg

Man, it looks like you have some really fun times ahead of you. I would love to find a spot like yours, especially if it is not bombarded with collectors like so many good areas are. Congrates! Have a ball!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Beautiful colored teeth, are the roots preserved as well?----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

It is wonderful that you have discovered such a site near to you; congratulations, and happy hunting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, great spot you found yourself :D

Are there also micro-teeth in that matrix?

Good hunting at your "privat" spot in the coming future :)

Peter

Thanks Foshunter,in few case the root is preserved specialy those collected on the matrix ,but most of the time the root is missing .

Thanks Auspex and Roger :)

Thanks Peter,yes there are micro-teeth in that matrix,and seems to be a lot of other micro-fossils also,the matrix is very rich.

Hi,

Gery, your honey hole seems very rich ! :fistbump: Is everything well preserved ? Or then what is the proportion of the correct teeth ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hello Coco,there are a lot of shark teeth but a very small number with the root,and the limestone is full of shell pieces,bryozoan,radioles,and i need to investigate more,there are also micro shark teeth. :)

post-2325-0-61166800-1378408476_thumb.jpg Close up of the limestonepost-2325-0-58458200-1378408535_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Any thoughts on why the root of these teeth most of the time are missing ? I have seen the same on some other locations and don't quite undestand why.

Funny to read that apparantly Patrick has been able to point you in the right direction, it's not his backyard by far.....

greets,marcel

Wow, you are sure doing well with finding the shark teeth Gery! Congrats on a nice little honey pot to explore.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks Marcel,Yes the frequent disappearing of the root is a mystery for me too,and i can witness of the dutch's friendship :P

thanks Dave,at this moment, i have a dozen of big limestone blocks to explore at home :o and i spend my time with white hands :P

post-2325-0-58102800-1378585250_thumb.jpg

Very interesting and a fun project!

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/