We Have An Miste Digg In Holland This Week And I Will Post Some Pictures Here This Week

arien

We have a Miste Digg week and I will post some pictures here

Greats Arien

What is a Miste Digg week? My translator won't translate it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What is a Miste Digg week? My translator won't translate it.

Perhaps it refers to the Miocene fossil shell beds found in the Miste/Winterswijk area in the Netherlands.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/21673-fossil-collecting-in-miste-the-netherlands/?hl=%2Bmiste+%2Bnetherlands

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Ah! That must be it.

Good hunting! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

From what i understand the last dig was in 2003. This week there will be a dig and the opportunity to look for fossils for about a week. After that the place will be cleaned up and closed to public. Sadly, i only found out about this a few days ago so i won't be able to participate....greets,marcel

From what i understand the last dig was in 2003. This week there will be a dig and the opportunity to look for fossils for about a week. After that the place will be cleaned up and closed to public. Sadly, i only found out about this a few days ago so i won't be able to participate....greets,marcel

That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. I might have considered flying to the Netherlands in 10 years if the site was permanently open. Why do places like this get closed down? It seems like every open pit/mine is closed down there days.

It's limited because the dig is at private proparty i think so actually to open the site for a week isn't too bad....

Arien,

I hope you had good luck at Miste. I have just a couple of teeth from there - trades from years ago.

Jess

We have a Miste Digg week and I will post some pictures here

Greats Arien

Edited by siteseer

Why do places like this get closed down?

This is not your average pit. After a series of surveys (searching for a good spot where the fossil-rich layer is thick), an agreement is made with the private owner and a temporary pit is excavated, solely for the purpose of fossiling. After the event, the pit is reconverted (e.g. into a natural area).

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png