Hungy Hollow Sept 7, 2013 - My First Crinoids!

lmacfadden

I spent a great day with Jim (trilobitenut) and Kim at Hungry Hollow on Saturday! Jim taught me a lot about observing the strata and what to look for as possible evidence of pockets of crinoids (that was awesome). It was all very helpful info and with that and some patience, I found my first few crinoids!

I think these are only referred to as the cups (and not a crown) but it's still an exciting find for me.

We did get soaked for about an hour when it started to rain after lunch but the rain drops were lighting up some amazing stuff and that is how the first crinoid appeared (left) - right there, sitting on top of the shale. I probably could not have spotted it otherwise.

Arthroacantha? post-11011-0-12062500-1378669189_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-64589200-1378669222_thumb.jpg

The rest of the day's finds... post-11011-0-84511600-1378669346_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

terrific finds, glad you stayed and did well in the rain, I think it is fun to collect in the rain on occasion, and the fossils certainly do stand out a lot more :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

very nice :D

...so incidentally, what SHOULD you look for in observing the strata for pockets of crinoids? ;) lol

Meet me at the pits some time and I'll show you!

terrific finds, glad you stayed and did well in the rain, I think it is fun to collect in the rain on occasion, and the fossils certainly do stand out a lot more :)

Thanks xonenine - the first few minutes were amazing... everything was just "popping" into view. When it starting pouring though, we had to retreat. The clay becomes hazardous and it's not worth risking your safety, even for crinoids! Thankfully the rain stopped after an hour or so and we continued hunting - awesome day!

Nice finds! For how many hours did you collect?

Saturday was a long day... from 8am to 7pm - every minute was enjoyable!

You wouldn't want to slip and bust your...crinoid!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very good! It gets better all the time doesn't it?

Thanks. It sure does Ludwigia - learning all the time! A great addiction.

Very nice.... keep telling myself that I have to get down there before the season is over..... always seems like too far to drive especially when the site 1 3/4 hours away is being very productive this summer.

Thanks. It sure does Ludwigia - learning all the time! A great addiction.

Luckily there aren't any revolting photos on them warning you of the dangers ;)

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Excellent finds! Great cups and spiriferids, they are my favorite brachs! Can't wait til I can get into some older areas... :envy:

Very nice.... keep telling myself that I have to get down there before the season is over..... always seems like too far to drive especially when the site 1 3/4 hours away is being very productive this summer.

If you make a day of it then it's going to be worth the drive!

Excellent finds! Great cups and spiriferids, they are my favorite brachs! Can't wait til I can get into some older areas... :envy:

Thanks PalioTerra! I never get tired of brachs. So plentiful in Hungry Hollow, if you know where to look! ;)

Thanks xonenine - the first few minutes were amazing... everything was just "popping" into view. When it starting pouring though, we had to retreat. The clay becomes hazardous and it's not worth risking your safety, even for crinoids! Thankfully the rain stopped after an hour or so and we continued hunting - awesome day!

So true. Isn't it great when the lighting is 'just right'.

Curious...are you finding any epifauna on your fossils ( little things that lived or were preserved on the brachs, etc.).

So true. Isn't it great when the lighting is 'just right'.

Curious...are you finding any epifauna on your fossils ( little things that lived or were preserved on the brachs, etc.).

If you're asking specifically about brachs, I don't think I have noticed that at all. But I will certainly keep an eye out for it. Maybe I haven't been observant enough or it may be that if a brach is not "perfect" I tend to place it aside. Maybe some of those "klingons" are epifauna!

Very nice finds!

In your 'rest of the day's finds', what are the two little round fossils, third row down, far left. (The first two in that row)

Thanks

Steve

Very nice finds!

In your 'rest of the day's finds', what are the two little round fossils, third row down, far left. (The first two in that row)

Thanks

Thanks Bullsnake! Those would be "button coral" or Microcyclus thedfordensis. The rain also helps uncover these tiny beauties. Some days I find dozens of them but I was not particularly looking for them on Sat.

Yay! Congrats!!! I love crinoids. :) So fun to learn about and find something new. :D

I agree - so fun!

Hey, it was a good trade Lise. You taught me how to find those blastoids, and that day, I found my first. Thanks for a wonderful day.