Aus Triassic Bivalves From Yesterday (8/9/13)

Ash

Big thanks again to Down Under Fossil Hunter for showing me this place. Out of close to 10 times going, I've only found bivalves on 2 occasions. 1 on one, and 3 this time (yay!). A friend celebrated his birthday on Sunday, and really wanted to go down to the quarry. So we had a brought a little set up, lunch (consisting mainly of lollies and softdrink (he's in his 30's, but a kid at heart)) and made a day of it. Oh, if anyones a fan of Shephards pie - substituting rice for potato was pretty good (cold)!

Anyways.

Triassic. No idea on ID's, hoping DUFH can assist with that. I think I've now a few species. Unio somethings. 2 are incomplete, could not find the missing pieces. One didnt glue back very well on the end. But its all there, and i quite like how it is. Preservation isn't super, but they are my favourite things to find here.

The Quarry, for those who havent seen.

9705511569_1998136749_c.jpg

Our set up.

9708870596_5f07508ce2_c.jpg

Trying to find the missing pieces of the bivalves! I found 2 of the missing bits, but didnt find the other 2 =( Spent over half an hour on hands and knees going through this.

9708860296_659e24aa31_c.jpg

Still trying to make this one out, 98% sure its a mussel. Compressed, or just a rather flat species?

9705547813_cca2bda4fa_c.jpg

9708765864_21a3ecc3df_c.jpg

9705538987_074e3c0444_c.jpg

One of the broken ones, with a piece i ended up finding after 15 or so minutes

9705610395_135238a6ba_c.jpg

Reunited partially

9708827894_d3e7e50c19_c.jpg

And finally, my favourite one, though the end piece refused to reattach with any taste at all, i'm still happy with it. There's some plants on it also, you can see far left top (black looking thing)

9705572419_4bdae4a1ff_c.jpg

Cheers,

Ash.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hi Ash, nice setup! I had the same blue colored popup canopy setup to offer some shade for our recent garage sale! Looks like its real tough to get a complete well preserved clam out of those sediments. Keep after them!

Regards, Chris

look like freshwater mussels? nice finds.

Hunted for fossils in:
UK - Lyme Regis, Charmouth, The Thames and Hampshire (two trips)
Egypt - Desert somewhere near Giza - Nummalites and petrified wood
Australia - Lightening Ridge opal fields - opalised things!!!!
USA - Florida- Gainesville creeks and Diving in the Santa Fe river Meg teeth and 10 000 year old mammals
New Zealand- Around 30 sites visited and collected from. Including Chatham Islands. and now Canada

Those canopy's are great for ease of set up and relative compactness. And it can be all done by one person. Yeah, the preservation isnt very good. Some people find great ones though (so ive heard). Until then, content with what ive found. I know shellfish may not be the most exciting of fossils, but i usually find Pleistocene mammals, so these are a thrill for me!

Moahunt - freshwater environment, yep. I like how little everything in that family has changed in so long.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."