Another Penn-Dixie Surprise

jgcox

On our last visit to penn-dixie we were in the process of setting up my prep lab and we brought back a couple of 5 gallon buckets of slate to be used as practice pieces. These had some signs of trilobites and other fossils present so I could practice excavating and air abrading without worrying about destroying a "keeper" specimen. When I started on this piece the only thing showing was the spine of two prone trilobites as I started removing matrix I found more trilobites. Now this practice piece has become a display piece. My only question is on two of the prone trilobites is a mix of glabella, phygidium and thorax pieces--should I remove them or just clean as well as possible?

post-11020-0-44495400-1378845757_thumb.jpg

post-11020-0-12596700-1378845765_thumb.jpg

post-11020-0-68150200-1378845772_thumb.jpg

Wow, for a practice piece that is really nice. I personally would leave it as is. Looks great to me.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Awesome! Get a local buddy with the right experience and equipment to finish it with air abrasion for you.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Keep everything there. Try a few practice pieces first but it is hard to ruin these Penn Dixie ones with low pressure and a light abrasive like dolomite or sodium bicarbonate.

What a beauty!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/