Exploring Southeast Missouri - Round 2

sward

I took some time today to check out some more outcrops in the area. Based on my previous reading, this area is a combination of Silurian and Devonian (locals...please feel free to correct me).

As Dan mentioned in my original post from this area, the process of elimination continues. I didn't find any fossils, but I did enjoy myself being out and enjoying a nice crisp fall day.

I set into the creek at this outcrop:

post-6450-0-12339500-1379879595_thumb.jpg

This outcrop sheds alot of these purple rocks. I noticed some that had a combination of purple with reds and greens mottled throughout it. I remember reading something about these types of rocks in some of my reading about the area before I moved here, but I'm going to have to unpack my books to find out what formation these rocks my be from.

post-6450-0-59187200-1379879892_thumb.jpg

Right after I entered the creek I found my first artifact since I've returned to the area:

post-6450-0-76848500-1379879983_thumb.jpg

After searching the area for any more artifacts or fossils, I hiked a couple of miles down the creek to check out a couple more outcrops I had seen.

During my hike, I ran into a few "kids" out playing in the creek and enjoying the day, just like myself:

post-6450-0-81433100-1379880175_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-04029300-1379880519_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-31350600-1379880573_thumb.jpg

I also found a few "interesting" rocks:

post-6450-0-58296800-1379880665_thumb.jpg

and possibly a pseudo-trace fossil?

post-6450-0-04063600-1379880766_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I finally made it to the other two outcrops I wanted to check out. These outcrops were entirely different than what I have seen so far. The other outcrops were mainly chert, but there was no chert in these:

post-6450-0-93062700-1379880969_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-42627000-1379881120_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-39770400-1379881197_thumb.jpg

These two outcrops are only a couple hundred feet apart and look alike. I assume it's part of the same formation. In the second pic, the highlighted area is a red layer that runs through both of these outcrops. The pic does not show the contrast as well as in person. I'm wondering if it may be part of the Bainbridge formation. I've read that the Bainbridge appears a "brick red", which would be close to how this layer appeared.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Cool geology and critter picks even if you are having difficulty finding macrofossils. The point is great as well! I was just wondering since you dont have your books available what online geologic maps might be available to help confirm the formations where you digging? Maybe you already covered this in the earlier post that I missed...

https://dnr.mo.gov/geology/statemap/missouri-maps.htm

Thanks for sharing this local stuff!

Regards, Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the idea. I've saved several maps for the area and intend to have some of them printed in a large, usable format for my "man cave".

I did read last night that the purple rocks with red staining could be from the Bailey formation while the purple rocks with the green and red staining may be from the Moccasin Springs formation.

So much new information to learn... :wacko:

Maps for this area can be a little tricky to use since the area is so faulted. As you can tell from the attached, you can change from one formation to another very quickly. Since I'm new to the area, it's going to take me a while to get used to seeing some of the geology and being able to recognize what I'm looking at. I think I'll take a couple of my books with me on some of my outings and try to identify some formations while I'm in the field.

post-6450-0-90374700-1379936925_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Steven... WOW!! Wish I had known more about fossils when I lived in MO! I would love to find a completely intact point this year... found some beautiful parts but not a whole one!

I really enjoyed your report and pic's. The point is really great and the live snail is delightful! The formations pictures are nice to see! I always so enjoy seeing formations and rocks from other states, thank you! ;)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".