A Tooth?

trilobite nut

Was working Hungry Hollow again on the weekend. After a month of working the north pit and finding between 40 and 50 crinoids, I was convinced the pockets I found were cleaned out. I headed to the walls along the river and found lots of fossils worth taking home, but this one in particular has me hopefully intrigued. I am hoping that I have a tooth from an armored fish...I can't imagine anything else it could be but a tooth...any ID help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

post-12582-0-13026500-1380759290_thumb.jpg

post-12582-0-09137500-1380759293_thumb.jpg

post-12582-0-95350200-1380759295_thumb.jpg

It is pretty interesting looking, have you searched for teeth from this era? Also can you provide the era for this deposit. I would like to have a look into why it could possibly be.

After reading some of your other posts I'm assuming this fossil is Devonian is that correct?

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I think phyllocarid mandible possibly. If I'm remembering correctly placoderms (armoured fish) did not heve teeth. Instead bony plates functioned as such.

Edited by middevonian

I think phyllocarid mandible possibly. If I'm remembering correctly placoderms (armoured fish) did not heve teeth. Instead bony plates functioned as such.

Would this be considered a rare find?

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the help. And yes, it is Devonian era. Now, to try to nail down the exact species that lived in the area...that will be a winter project. For now, the weather is still good and it's digging time!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jim

Ok...drove me nuts. Had to find out the species. It's Hebertocaris wideneri. Could be Dithyrocaris neptuni but I think the Hebertocaris is a much better match to what I have. I wonder if the rest of the animal is close by....hmmm....guess I'm playin' in the rain this weekend! LOL

Phyllocarids have been found in both the Widder and Arkona Formations. Your piece looks like its from the Arkona Fm.(lens piece) Confirm? Phyllocarid gastrointestinal mandibles are rare in these formations. Your specimen looks to be on the larger size of the material I have seen. It does appear to have that ceratiocarid form very typical of Echinocaris punctata mandibles, which are what most of the Arkona Formation material collected seems to be. (Need someone to work on our Arkona material!) No doubt a good find.

Hey, thanks for the compliments everyone. Mike, thank you for help with the ID. Nice to have such knowledgeable people so willing to help. To answer your questions, yes, it is from the Arkona formation. Yes, it is a lens piece...crinoidal limestone. It was found along the river bank after the water went down. It was WAY up and raging which took lots of inches of floor and wall with it. Where I found this, I also found many other larger lens pieces, lots of crinoid calyx and of course, many platyceras. One piece in particular that I almost missed, I find amazing. It is already rock...nothing was done to this...pictured as is:

post-12582-0-47713100-1381193989_thumb.jpg

Back to the phyllocarid. I didn't even know they existed in that area, let alone know what I was looking at when I found it. Very cool though. Gives me more understanding of everything...and more ideas on where to look for certain things. Every time I'm there, I learn tons more.

Again, thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Jim