Upper Devonian Nodule Fossils Ny

mikeymig

This cool pair of Upper Devonian Cephalopods were found on 10/3/2013 in Ontario County, New York.

The Bactrites is 3.5" and the Manticoceras is 4". Both were found in very hard nodules in the cashaqua shale. The site I find these early Ammonoids in is a 3 mile hike and it was a great day for collecting (77 degrees and blue skies). I only collected 2 times at this site in 2013 and I have to get back there soon.

Mikey

post-7129-0-51438600-1380939766_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very nice! I have a baculite similar to your bactrites specimen. I think yours is rarer? :drool:

Awesome Fossils, Mikey! :wub:

Love to see the great things you find.

You obviously know what to look for.

Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sweet! def. a good site to collect at. How many nodules did you have to crack open to find them?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sweet! def. a good site to collect at. How many nodules did you have to crack open to find them?

Let me think!!!! It's like one in 5or6 have something (Cephalopods, gastropods, plants). These aren't round or small oblong nodules like Mazon. Some are hundreds of pounds and can be blocky. They can be dangerous to work cuz some pieces fly off when your pounding like bullets.

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Really nice, unusual finds. Not too familar with the Upper Devonian sites in Upstate NY. Would like to become more familar. Showing us what you've collected helps me get a better idea. Best of luck and hope you return to this site soon.

Plants? Would like to see the plant fossils...

Here's one also found in a nodule. The specimen is 3D and sounds like metal (iron pyrite) when tapped with a a small chisel.

Mikey

post-7129-0-74383200-1381193578_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

Dang! That is an attractive specimen :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm glad to see that so many of you like and appreciate these very uncommon fossils from NY. I have more photos in my gallery under the heading Ammonites from New York. I discovered this site in the late 1990s but serious collecting for me was in 2006. The collecting of these early Ammonites sparked my interest and so I built a collection of Ammonites from the Devonian to the Cretaceous. I bought most of my Jurassic specimens from eBay UK and from Yorkshire Coast Fossils. My Cretaceous specimens were bought on eBay and private collectors. I will be putting a display together of my Ammonites called "Ammonites, beginning to end" at the Rochester Gem and Mineral show October 19th and 20th.

Thanks

Mikey

led zeppelin

Maybe you can take a pic of that display for those of us who can't possibly make it to the show?

Heres another cool fossil I found in an Upper Devonian nodule a couple of years ago. Those of us who dig the Paleozoic are familiar with this fossil cephalopod and most of us have at least a few in our collections. I have found my share in the Middle Devonian shales of NY but this is the only Upper Devonian specimen I have and the only one I have ever found from this formation. There was a mass extinction at the end of the Devonian and this guy may have been one of the last of his kind. It was a great surprise when I found him because I have never read anything in any of my books on the Upper Devonian fauna of NY stating that they could found in these rocks. I had this specimen in storage for a long time and I just rediscovered it and thought it would be nice to add it to this thread.

mikey

post-7129-0-83278100-1381512197_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

I think they are interesting, being precursors to the ammos and nauts I find in my local Cretaceous. (I don't have any in my collection yet tho.. must be somewhat hard to find, at least, otherwise I think they'd be all over ebay, but all you see is bits and pieces!)

Do you think this one might be something new to science? Or just too rare for the guidebooks to bother mentioning it? Either way, might be important.

I think they are interesting, being precursors to the ammos and nauts I find in my local Cretaceous. (I don't have any in my collection yet tho.. must be somewhat hard to find, at least, otherwise I think they'd be all over ebay, but all you see is bits and pieces!)

Do you think this one might be something new to science? Or just too rare for the guidebooks to bother mentioning it? Either way, might be important.

I don't know about being new to science (that would be cool) but I knew it was special when I found it. This formation is for the most part pretty predictable. All the specimens listed in the literature I have read I have found. For example I find many plants and Bactrites, a few gastropods, Tornoceras and Manticoceras, rarely Phyllocarid, and one fish, crinoid, and this Orthocone. The books I have are from Clarke, Hall, and old museum bulletins. These guys look a lot alike and as you know most are clumped together and called Orthoceras. I call this specimen "mikeyoceras". ;)

Mikey

led zeppelin