Two Marine Cretaceous Teeth From Northern New Mexico

Lobo

• New Members

I found two broken teeth (along with many other marine fossils) at 11,000 feet in northern New Mexico. I don't know the exact formation, but I do know that the fossils are Cretaceous. The two teeth were found less than 10 feet from each other.

post-13381-0-43389000-1381196005_thumb.jpg

The first photo shows the front faces of the teeth, with a penny for scale. The tooth on the left is protruding from a siltstone or mudstone and is in better condition than the one on the right, but is lacking the point of the tooth. The tooth on the right shows a rounded crown with serrations, although the serrations may be difficult to see in the photo. If you use your imagination to fill in the chipped parts of the second tooth, you can see that the tooth has a rounded triangular shape, and probably has more width than length.

post-13381-0-16088100-1381196063_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the back side of the first tooth (and probably some of the root), where the tooth met the gums and jaw.

When I first found the teeth I thought they may be from a shark species, but after looking at other shark teeth in the forums I wasn't so sure. I can upload other views if it helps identify the teeth.

looks pennsylvanian... petalodus

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I agree its looks like Petalodus ohioensis but its not cretaceous. The distribution of this species is from the Carboniferous period.

• New Members

Thanks for the help; after looking at other Petalodus teeth online I'd have to agree. It was difficult to figure out where I was on the geologic map, so I thought I was in a Cretaceous outcrop. There are Pennsylvanian formations all over that area, so it makes sense now.

The New Mexico geologic map is all mixed up with pockets of this and that scattered willy nilly. There is a small outlier of Pennsylvanian just outside of Santa Fe that always gives me great pleasure. But I bet it isn't a mile or more in length and much less in width and it's confined between metamorphic and possibly igneous rocks.

And I agree on Petalodus for the ID.

Wolf, you should feel no shame in being mistaken on this. Pennsylvanian shark teeth seem to be much more rare than Cretaceous teeth. I wish all my misidentifications resulted in something more rare!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's a large Petalodus. Is that the norm for the Pennsylvanian in that area?

Lobo, mistaken identity can be a positive. Your specimen is like being told your piece of silver is actually gold. Nice find.