Bakersfield Teeth

high desert

These are some of the teeth I have found over in Bakersfield. Still trying to get positive I'd's on these west coast teeth but this site has been a huge help

post-13373-0-33571600-1381204562_thumb.jpg

post-13373-0-95928300-1381204600_thumb.jpg

I can see a few miss identified. It takes a little time to know what to look for to be able to positively identify 99% of teeth you find on the spot. I don't see any hexanchus except for the tooth in the second picture but I could be wrong since the picture is a little blurry. Nice finds keep bringing in the teeth, your hunting at one of the best places for sharks teeth.

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Hi If you can show some photos of the teeth that are as clear as the collecting photos that would help us ID the teeth a lot better.Thanks

In the first picture the tooth to the left does appear to be a partial hexanchus, the tooth to the right is a tiger shark tooth. In the second picture it does look a lot like an upper hexanchus, what's the size of it?

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I agree. The tooth in the second picture seems too incomplete to be sure.

The two teeth under "C. maxim..." are Cetorhinus teeth (basking shark). I don't think they belong to the modern species, C. maximus. I would label them Cetorhinus sp.

The tooth in the fourth picture is Galeocerdo contortus.

The specimen on the left edge of the fifth picture is Diodon sp. - tooth plate of a porcupinefish. The other specimens in that picture are myliobatid teeth.

The sixth picture shows a ray dermal denticle.

The tooth in the last picture has been called Dasyatis sp. - tooth of a female stingray.

In the first picture the tooth to the left does appear to be a partial hexanchus, the tooth to the right is a tiger shark tooth. In the second picture it does look a lot like an upper hexanchus, what's the size of it?

I really want to say this is an upper cow shark but with the tooth appearing to be damaged I can't say for 100% that's what it is. Are you using a cell phone to take the pictures by any chance? That picture in particular is still very blurry. Try taking the picture with better lighting. If you flip the tooth over I max be able to confirm if it is a cow shark.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

High Desert,

Echinorhinus denticles have a "stellate" or star-like basal outline with a cusp that rises from the central area (not always exactly in the middle because the overall basal shape can roughly round to ovoid) at more than a 45 degree angle. The base is flat. Raised (or embossied) ridges radiate from the cusp to the edges. It sort of looks like an open umbrella with an oversized tip.

Rarely, two or three denticles are found connected.

Jess

I was wondering if maybe the dermal spine could be from Echinorhinus as the local seems to fit.

I was wondering if maybe the dermal spine could be from Echinorhinus as the local seems to fit.

I agree with Jess that your denticle is a ray dermal denticle. Below are pictures of an Echinorhinus dermal denticle from the Eocene of Virginia.

post-2515-0-55829800-1381524697_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-42739300-1381524716_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-91924400-1381524738_thumb.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Marco Sr.,

That is an unusual denticle. I haven't seen one like that. Great specimen. It looks like a free-form version of a modern bramble shark denticle. I have an STH specimen that looks like a modern one.

I think someone should sculpt one maybe six inches high for a shark tooth display or a living room decoration and see what reactions you get.

Jess

I agree with Jess that your denticle is a ray dermal denticle. Below are pictures of an Echinorhinus dermal denticle from the Eocene of Virginia.

attachicon.gifEchinorhinus sp. dermal denticle1 3mm.jpgattachicon.gifEchinorhinus sp. dermal denticle2 3mm.jpgattachicon.gifEchinorhinus sp. dermal denticle3 3mm.jpg

Marco Sr.