Globidens Tooth?

Foshunter

Just returned home from a trip to Texas. Have a question about this tooth I found. Globidens on a good day are extremely rare, have found only one complete one in 25 years of hunting the Sulphur River. Found this tooth on a short hunts last Friday along with some other finds I will post later as friends arrived the day following our return, no rest for the tired traveler LOL. I first thought it was a small Mosasaur tooth but it had characteristics of an old Glob. find, but it is more conical in shape, where my old tooth is roundish. Both have a hole at the apex of the crown, Mos. doesn't, also Mos. teeth have a striation appearance to the enamel where these teeth have a different texture. I have never seen a Glob. tooth from this area that is conical in appearance, so would like to hear from someone that can varify an ID----Tom

post-3940-0-88637800-1381347248_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-62193000-1381347250_thumb.jpgNew Tooth

post-3940-0-39643000-1381347252_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-04307800-1381347254_thumb.jpgMy old find

post-3940-0-03495100-1381347256_thumb.jpgMosasaur tooth with striations

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

If I found a crocodile tooth or whale tooth with a hole on the crown I would identify it as being wear from the opposing tooth. That's what it appears to be, but not having found any globidens I can't say for certain that's what it is so I'm only saying this because of teeth I have found with similar "holes".

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Tom,

I think that is a Globidens tooth. I have seen a few from Morocco that have a more conical shape like that. Unworn Globidens teeth have an embossed wrinkled texture.

Jess

Just returned home from a trip to Texas. Have a question about this tooth I found. Globidens on a good day are extremely rare, have found only one complete one in 25 years of hunting the Sulphur River. Found this tooth on a short hunts last Friday along with some other finds I will post later as friends arrived the day following our return, no rest for the tired traveler LOL. I first thought it was a small Mosasaur tooth but it had characteristics of an old Glob. find, but it is more conical in shape, where my old tooth is roundish. Both have a hole at the apex of the crown, Mos. doesn't, also Mos. teeth have a striation appearance to the enamel where these teeth have a different texture. I have never seen a Glob. tooth from this area that is conical in appearance, so would like to hear from someone that can varify an ID----Tom
attachicon.gif001.JPGattachicon.gif003.JPGNew Tooth

attachicon.gif004.JPGattachicon.gif005.JPGMy old find

attachicon.gif006.JPGMosasaur tooth with striations

Thanks Jess, I have seen so few examples of these rare Texas teeth and never one that hasn't been rounded from use. Every thing was adding up as to it being Globidens but wasn't positive----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

the blunts in Globidens and Carinodens are back teeth. The longer front teeth still have the characteristic wrinkles (anastomizing ridges?). This stuff is fresh in my mind because of a new paper received just yesterday. "The First North American Record of Caronidens belgicus....." Netherlands Journal of Geosciences (92-2/3) 145-152 2013. Thanks Ned!

• I found this Informative 1