Ancient Critter Tooth

Locohead

Hello,

I thought this was 2 teeth until i got home and my son fit the 2 pieces back together. It was a super perfect fit so i glued them back. I found them in a creek bed wall about 16"-18" below the surface. They were exposed in the wall from recent flood erosion.

I have been lurking here for some time. My wife, children and i are always out adventuring. We look for cool rocks, snakes, lizards, toads, frogs, turtles, artifacts, and fossils. We have a lot of them but really dont know what anything is. Haha. Thank you all for your help! I would like to post some more stuff later.

Yeah pretty cool. We just call it the dinosaur tooth. Put to scale, it would require a pretty big mouth to accommodate a mouth full of those teeth.

Forgot to mention that the opposing tooth had been rubbing or sharpening the inside of the two highest points of this tooth. It reminds me of hog tusks, or peccary fangs, how the uppers close down on the lowers and continually sharpen each other. You can kind of see the flat edge on he higher points of the tooth in the first picture.

Hopefully this helps with ID. We would love to find out what kind of critter had this tooth in its mouth!

In neither my topic title or the post replies.did I.ask for.help with ID. We are really anxious to find out ANYthing we.can about it. For instance. To our untrained eyes, it looks to be a tooth from a carnivore. If anyone can give us any information more than I've already posted, really , that would be a.giant.help. What's posted.is 100% all the info. I have.

1. Creek bed wall about 18" or.so below the surface

2. Not the enamel part but the roots look like a.concretion with sand

3. Looks as though this tooth was rubbing with the opposing tooth (worn flat edge)

4. Doesn't look like grinding teeth (grazing teeth) the tooth has 4 points

5. The tooth enamel kind of flattens and flares out at the edge.just.before the root starts.

Thank you again. Where.is.Rich,? That.guy appears to be a.walking encyclopedia about teeth! :-) Lots of very smart people here.

Can you take a straight-down view of the occlusal surface of the tooth? Pictures at oblique angles can be very misleading.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

You bet. Thanks Rich. I took a few but they are hard to see much, so I will throw in a slightly angled one for for good measure...speaking of measure...please let me know which measurements will be helpful and I will get them. Thanks again!

post-13267-0-70497900-1381736220_thumb.jpg

post-13267-0-45126200-1381736302_thumb.jpg

post-13267-0-88398700-1381736350_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. I ought to leave it to Rich but.. You either have the largest tapir tooth I have ever seen or a really neat & complete baby mastodon. It is that photo in the center of your palm that has me thinking the latter.

For comparison:

post-2220-0-61128200-1381758184_thumb.jpg

Very nice find -- you have some root material!!! I love it wen these show up in my sieve.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you Shellseeker. Is the tooth you have a rapid or baby mastodon?

The dark one in my original post is Mastodon, This one is tapir -- and close to a maximum size tapir. Usually the differentiator is size -- Mastodon is a lot bigger.

post-2220-0-81943200-1381763463_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-77001300-1381763503_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"