Platyceras From The Jamesville Quarry

MarleysGh0st

I've already posted one photo of this specimen in my trip report on the Museum of the Earth field trip to Jamesville Quarry (Jamesville, NY. Middle Devonian, Eifelian Age. Onondaga Formation, Nedrow Member.)

This gastropod appears to be a Platyceras sp., similar to some of those shown in Plates 262-272 of Linsley's Devonian Paleontology of New York, but not quite matching any of those illustrations. Now that I've had the chance to extract the fossil from the matrix, I'm even more intrigued.

The top of the fossil was almost fully exposed when I found it, so there weren't any surprises there:

post-7334-0-67996400-1381779404_thumb.jpg

When it came loose from the matrix, though, I was surprised to see these radial lines inside the aperture:

post-7334-0-99092500-1381779400_thumb.jpg

The figures in Linsley (from James Hall's works of 1862 and 1879) all show the aperture being plain or missing altogether. Have I found details that Hall never discovered?

Here's one more photo, with a side view:

post-7334-0-49102300-1381779397_thumb.jpg

The specimens that Hall illustrated show more curvature at the apex than my specimen, which seems fairly straight from this angle (with only a slight S-shaped curvature visible in the top/bottom views).

Do we have any Devonian gastropod experts who can help me match this specimen to a species name?

Edited by MarleysGh0st

Sorry buddy but it looks like a coral to me. :(

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Oh. :(

A horn coral with such a deep, concave bowl at what I was calling the aperture?

Back to the reference works!

Looks like a Zaphrentis type horn coral.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

no shame. that's how we all learn to ID things.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."