A Tale Of Two Trips

bmorefossil

The first trip will never be forgotten, the conditions out on the water were so rough. I still do not know how I managed to make it to the beach in my big yellow banana of a kayak. If it wasn't still dark out and I was able to see the massive waves I probably would have never gone and that would have been the best decision but I made it to the beach and began my walk which wasn't for long because there was no beach to collect on at all. I managed to do a quick look around before quickly returning to where I beached my kayak, fingers crossed that it hadn't washed out to sea. It hadn't luckily but I waited till sunrise to attempt to head on back. By this time I'm already drenched from the waves and the rain so it was a very unpleasant wait. Eventually the sun came up and I attempted my venture back but quickly found out that no matter how hard I paddled I was being pushed backwards by the waves, I was reenacting the movie the perfect storm. Just imagine scaled down versions of the waves and a big yellow banana with me on it. It was extremely hard just getting back to shore but I somehow managed as my adrenaline pumped. So I was stranded, I began dragging my kayak up the beach when out of no where a massive wave takes me out and flips the kayak everything that was once in the kayak is now floating away so I go in the water after the important things. Luckily my phone did not get wet so I called my father to come and basicly rescue me from the beach. 2 hours of waiting being as cold as it was and being completely drenched was taking a toll on my body. I had already lost feeling in my hands and feet but now my feet were as blue as poppa smurf and it wasn't pretty. So I put myself into a ball and sheltered myself from the wind as much as I could by sitting up against a bush( was the only thing available). Help eventually arrived and I was happy to get out of there as fast as possible.

Trip two was the exact opposite of a day. The weather was beautiful the bay was still and the beach was prime for fossil collecting. Only downside was being the fifth person on the beach but I wasn't complaining after going through that crappy day just a week ago. Found most of my teeth in one little strip but decided to move on and come back later. As I was walking down the beach I noticed an odd shaped bone sticking out of a block. After digging it out it was an amazing seal humerus! This was the first I had found and they are pretty uncommon from calvert cliffs. All in all it was an ok day teeth wise. No megalodon but I did score a 1 3/4" lower mako and a 1 1/2" Hemipristis. Happy hunting everyone.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zpsa512cab2.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps203f3ba4.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps054772da.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps407b1d1d.jpg

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Hey Bmore, your first trip sounds very similar to one I had about 2 years ago on the bay (it may have been the same spot too). I was struggling to get back in after finishing collecting (no matter how hard I paddled, I kept getting pushed back) and had no choice but to beach it and drag the thing. Luckily I didn't flip the kayak until I could stand, but it was a mess. I must of looked pitiful because a nice home owner saw and took pity on me and suggested I cross his yard to get to an area that was much less rough where I could re-launch from.

Anyway, those are the fossil-less days I always remember.

By the way, this is Greg. We've met down on the bay a few times. Happy collecting

Nice story and cool finds. I would love to give the cliffs another try.

Hey Bmore, your first trip sounds very similar to one I had about 2 years ago on the bay (it may have been the same spot too). I was struggling to get back in after finishing collecting (no matter how hard I paddled, I kept getting pushed back) and had no choice but to beach it and drag the thing. Luckily I didn't flip the kayak until I could stand, but it was a mess. I must of looked pitiful because a nice home owner saw and took pity on me and suggested I cross his yard to get to an area that was much less rough where I could re-launch from.

Anyway, those are the fossil-less days I always remember.

By the way, this is Greg. We've met down on the bay a few times. Happy collecting

Thanks mako, wish I could say its worth heading on up. The cliffs sure do need a nice storm or two to replenish the fossils.

How's it going Greg, yea I'm pretty sure it was the same place. The north east winds can really shoot across the bay causing a lot of trouble, I remember once a pretty large boat flipped there and two fishermen actually lost their lives it's pretty scary what 50 degree water can do.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Yeah I believe it. It can really turn rough quickly.

Glad to see your second trip went better though. Congrats on the awesome seal, very cool find

Hope to see you out there soon (and hopefully with better collecting conditions)

Nice finds.I love the color on those Hemis.Sweet Makos too.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Ha! What a great story. All those hemis and makos remind me of hunting calvert cliffs. I love the colors at that location. Still have some real nice hemis and makos from there. Nice haul.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I'm glad you didn't become a Calvert County ghost story for future Halloweens. The phantom yellow kayak gliding through the fog, with the raspy whisper, "meggg-a-lo- donnnnn...." I'm happy it's just a good tale you can tell for yourself. I'll be heading down that way tomorrow, trying to decide where to go. Probably Flag Pond and Brownies. I'll just be a happy landlubber, at least this week. Nice finds, by the way, and congratulations for getting back on the yellow "horse."

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I wish I could find the pictures because just a few years ago there was a day where the fog was do thick you could only see a few feet in front of you. I remember some lost fisherman would find their way to shore to ask for directions. Thanks for reminding me. I was actually able to come across a picture I took that day, given it was taken a few hours later when the fog started to go away it's still a pretty cool picture in my opinion. http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps3a8e7dcb.jpg

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I'll be heading down that way tomorrow, trying to decide where to go. Probably Flag Pond and Brownies. I'll just be a happy landlubber, at least this week. Nice finds, by the way, and congratulations for getting back on the yellow "horse."

You may want to check on Flag Ponds days of operation. They used to open only on weekends after Labor Day.

Bmore, that's a great photo of the fog at the cliffs. Nice shot. I remember driving in fog along the Maine coast where I couldn't see the front of the car. I had to open the driver's side door to follow the white line in the middle of the road. I went out on the sardine boats occasionally and the captains back then never trusted the new-fangled radar on the ships and relied entirely on their horns or shouting out to each other.

Obsessed, thanks! I just checked and Flag Ponds is closed most of the week. It will be open Friday, but I'll probably head up to Brownies then. Thursday I'll go to Matoaka instead. I've never been there, only to the state park. I'll post my finds, hopefully, when I get back to Massachusetts.

Are you going to be around on Saturday? I plan on going down that way with another forum member.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Are you going to be around on Saturday? I plan on going down that way with another forum member.

I wish I could be but I'll be leaving on Friday, hopefully stopping to do some collecting in Pennsylvania on my way back home. I hope you have a great trip on Saturday, and thanks for your help!

Really glad you made it out okay and that the second trip went much smoother.. What we do for fossils sometimes is just crazy. Nice find by the way.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Really glad you made it out okay and that the second trip went much smoother.. What we do for fossils sometimes is just crazy. Nice find by the way.

there has only been a few times while I'm out collecting where I have to ask myself what was I thinking. This sure was one of them.
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg