P O C Micros

Katfish61

Sorry, for some reason even after previewing my post my photos are reversed. As some of ya'll know I have been having trouble getting quality photos of my micros. Well I did take the penny out, but still wanted something for scale. So I printed a scale, cut it out and there you have it. It's not fancy, but it will work. These are scans, hope they work for ya'll.

I am doing a project for my husbands eighth grade class, It will be a station they can walk up to anytime they pass by. Easy access, as they only have a few minutes a day of free time. I will keep make sure there are plenty of things to find to keep them coming back. They will be hooked before they know it. Even if one shows as much interest as we do, I will be happy. I want them to be in awe like I am when I make that FIND. I know how it makes me feel before I get to a site, the excitement. Sometimes I feel a pound in my head, a lump in my throat, and a burn in my stomach. Then I get there and get out to get my things together, sometimes trekking a good distance. As soon as I get to the site, I find no more pounding in my head. no lump in my throat, no burn in my stomach. I only have one thing one my mind and that's when I feel most at peace. Then the bonus to all of the blah blah blah I just posted is, fossil hunting is awesome. :D Sorry it's been a long week and it took forever for me to type all of that and I didn't want to delete it. :mellow:

So, to get back to the micros. I have been trying to ID things myself by research. It seems that there are so many teeth that have the same appearance. It will take time to get it down, I just learned things as simple as what cusp and cusplets are. So you see I have a lot to learn.

Here are a few things, please help with any ID's. It seems if I bunched many in one photo it came out better.

First one is only a few of about a hundred : Ptychotrygon

Second is the only two I found: Denticles

Third are only a few of about fifty or so: Verts

Fourth are an assortment of some of the very small teeth.

I have several things I'm not sure of and will post them as soon as I get photos.

Thanks to everyone for all the help..... Ya'll ROCK!!

post-12300-0-57322500-1382156637_thumb.jpg

post-12300-0-74630600-1382156921_thumb.jpg

post-12300-0-39271800-1382156935_thumb.jpg

post-12300-0-81900400-1382157048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

I love the micro material and one day I will be able to get clear photos so I can post some of the Australian material I find.

The one question I have are these found in gravel, beach or a matrix as they are very clean. most of my small material retains some matrix that is not worth the risk of removing at the moment.

Mike

Nice micros. A lot of folks like to look but don't comment much so don't feel bad about comments. Also it takes time as a lot of folks aren't on the site every day. Your ids look correct. Ptychotrygon species can look very similar and it will take you a while to tell them apart. I have been collecting them for many years and still have trouble with some. It does look like I see P. triangularis. There are also other sawfish genus that can look similar to Ptychotrygons. The dermal denticles/scutes look like they are ray.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The server was down for most of the morning (came back 'bout 11-ish Eastern time), so we lost a half-day's worth of visitation.

Folks will be getting home soon, so more eyes will appear. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Mike,

They are found in gravel beds and are fairly clean when found. I use dawn dish soap and warm water to clean them.

MarcoSr, thanks for the info on the differance between the Ptychotrygons and yes, it will take awhile. I am having a blast going through my micros.

Auspex, thanks for letting me know about the down server.....I thought it was just me..... :)

Kathy