DE&i

It's in beautiful condition! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The 1st photo is a cannon bone. The 2nd is an astralugus. Initially think horse -- It might be something else like Bison or deer/Elk family but now you get into expertise that I lack.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Darren,

Wonderful finds. The preservation is fantastic. First is an auroch/bison metatarsal I think. Even toed ungulate. Its either auroch/bison or Megaloceros (or could be Megaloceros metacarpal also). Megaloceros metatarsal is 330 to 380 mm and more slender of course.

I would recommend dilute PVA multiple application to avoid cracking as the specimens dry out.

Please give length so we can narrow it down further.

Paul

Hi Darren

Very good. Its Bos Primigenius or Bison then. That radius/ulna you posted previously was Bos I believe (un-fused bones). The preservation in that quarry is breathtaking. I guess its due to the clay. Very unusual to find three undamaged bones in one outing. This is a good sign for the future.

Paul

nWow,the preservation is awesome on the whole bones.It's hard to find stuff like that.Nice work and congrats.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I found about four well-preserved mammal bones in pristine condition ill start off with this one..., attachicon.gifPleistocene Mammal Bone 1.jpg of which took me a few hours to remove the caked clay from all the crevices

As long as the fossils are nice and solid, like yours, I find that the fastest way to get almost all of the clay and other sediment out of the crevasses is to spray them with a garden hose equipped with a typical nozzle attachment (Ex.: http://tinyurl.com/l3bzpnv). I don't use the very narrow and hard 'jet' option but go with the 'flat' option. This gives good water pressure but isn't so much it will blast the fossil to bits. The water washes the caked clay off great, even out of the smallest 'pores'.

Edited by auximenes