Species Of Equus?

paul-waxahachie

Found today (October 20), in the North Texas Pleistocene River terraces.

Equus Metacarpal I am pretty certain. There were quite a few species of Equus. Is it possible to identify which species of Equus from the size and location found?

post-11352-0-15210900-1382319941_thumb.jpg

post-11352-0-33965700-1382319991_thumb.jpg

Short answer: No.

But, with good mesurements, it is possible that it can be put it into one of Melissa Winnans 5 groups of fossil Equus.

If you can measure the length in millimeters, and the distal width and proximal width, I'll plot it with her samples for you.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Based on the location found, and visual comparisons, I think this is likely equus conversidens (or Mexican horse) that became extinct in the last Ice Age. I could not find a free online version of the Melissa Winnans study classifying equus by metacarpal / metatarsal size.

Well, based on Winans' data, the one group the metacarpal cannot be is the Equus alaskae group, of which E. conversidens is a member. That group all has metacarpals shorther than yours. Unfortuantely, it is within the range of variation of all 4 of the remaining groups. But her data doesn't provide paired measurements from the same individual bones. I'll send the measurements to Eric Scott and see how they plot with his mega database.

Sorry to have let his lapse for so long!

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks Rich,

So my ID was the only species it could not be. Perfect....

I have some more equus fossils. I found an almost identical sized equus metacarpal, a few months back (pic attached), and I am pretty sure an equus 2nd phalange last weekend (pic attached).

I think I have some vertebrae also. Thanks for forwarding the measurements to your friend.

post-11352-0-17423300-1382671600_thumb.jpg

post-11352-0-48424700-1382671618_thumb.jpg