What Can It Be?

Walker

Why get perturbed if nobody, on a free message board no less, gives you any suggestions as to what your picture might be in one day's time? Also, why pull the pic? That guarantees that you'll not get any suggestions.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it...

114 views and no suggestion? Nevermind.

Very bad form; outright rude, I'd say. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At first I noticed something looking like skull, but it's highly unlikely. What can it be?

1 cm cube for scale.

post-4301-0-04183200-1382470643_thumb.jpg

P.S.

Any info regarding this tooth would be nice ;)

Thank you.

Attached and captured for perpetuity is a cached image from google. :ninja:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for the help, piranha. Now, if Walker is still reading, I'll answer his question:

I don't have a clue. I was one of the 114 viewers before you took down the photo, and I didn't have a clue then, either. And with a generic topic name like "What can it be?" I didn't have any idea whether I might have a clue before reading the topic. How could I?

I'm sorry so many of us looked at your fossil and couldn't be of help. Would it have made you feel better to get 114 responses saying "I don't know"?

Edited by MarleysGh0st

I was also one of the 114 people to look. Typically I have no idea what I am looking at, but occasionally I venture a guess that someone with more knowledge usually throws to the side, and makes me feel like an imbecile in the process. <---Which is perfectly fine because this is not my forte, rather just something fun I like to do in my spare time. I use to enjoy those puzzles where they show you a small segment of something and you have to guess what it is. I get that kind of kick here...and I do occassionally find fossils and need identification for my own feel good reasons and need for understanding. That being said, I am a published author and have written scientific magazine articles. I also use to breed exotic fish, and have been involved with DNA analysis.

When I looked at your specimen, I thought that it resembled two fish fry, entombed shortly after birth. Likelyhood of my suggestion being correct is about as likely as it being just a rock with a "suggestive shape" as I have heard Auspex call them on occassion. The fish part that I see would be the soft tissue that would have long been disolved. If it were a fish it would be just skeletons. I'd say its just the minds eye playing tricks.

Keep looking for more interesting stuff and dont be afraid to share them with us. We live, we learn.

If yan can do it, so can you,

Chow Chein

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Hi Walker,

Repost your photo! The good people on this forum will identify it for you if it's at all possible! Nothing but the best here, tons of knowledge and the willingness to share it! Check out the number of posts that Auspex, piranha, MarleysghOst, Cole and other members have. Most are posts to help out other people. No one here would intentionally ignore or offend you. :)

My newbie knowledge about fossils will fit in my hand with room to spare, but I'm learning thanks to Fossil Forum! I do a lot of looking and very little responding because of my lack of knowledge.

Welcome to Fossil Forum Walker!

Jed

(Piranha, thanks again for the downloads, very very helpful! )

Collecting locality and the geological age would be interesting know.

As far as an ID is concerned ...

Small fragments of fossil are not always easily identifiable.

By the way ...

114 views doesn't mean 114 members viewed the post.

It only means there were 114 views ... of which I and others

viewed the post a number of times. I probably looked at this post 15 times.

Edited Oct 23 - spelling correction

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Possible trace fossil?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks