Got The Grandchildren To The Mazon

oldman4sure

I had not been out collecting in almost 30 years. The grandchildren have been asking for me to take them for over a year now. On the spur of the moment we took a ride to the Mazon Il. area. It seems it is even more difficult to access any collection areas than we were told. We could not get in anywhere as the public areas are closed for waterfowl hunting season.

This was an important trip for us as we want to stimulate these young minds. Just as we were about to give up we spotted some shale sticking out next to a public road. It was almost dark and we had to work fast. Luckily there were some concretions and even a few small finds that had already split. The day was saved!

It was a satisfying trip even with the little we found. The grandchildren could not stop talking about the "fossils" and asking when they could go back. I would venture to say we accomplished phase one of our mission to stimulate.

Now I will have to identify the finds and pray the grandchildren have the patience to wait to "freeze/thaw" the concretions open correctly. Finally I had forgotten how much work just walking those hills can be. These old legs needed a cane to steady them. Just old age there I guess. :wacko: Here's hoping for better luck on their next trip.

Nice report! :) Glad you weren't skunked.

Look forward to some pics when they split.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Mystery is a prime facilitator of the sense of wonder, as long as patience holds up. Keep them wondering :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What a lucky guy!

I sorely miss the days my kids (son and daughter) and I went out walking creeks looking for horn corals and brachiopods, catching salamanders and crawdads. Spotting an occasional deer. My son stopped around 11 and my daughter around 16. They're 20 and 24 yrs old now and too busy or too something or other. I hope they return to it like I did, in my mid-30's. I hope to do the same with my grandkids.

HRguy54,

I thought I would never be back out. 20 & 24 are "busy" ages. Our children disappeared at those ages also. they are 36,38 39 and 42 now. I hope yours also will be back with the grandchildren. Best of luck on that. I pray you have the same warm feeling that we had this past weekend when it occurs. I have not felt so good about life in years.

My goal is now to use this hobby to help stimulate the minds of all 8 of our grandchildren. I just hope my legs and back hold up. I forgot how much work it is. I needed a cane to help myself around this time. It was a little embarrassing.

We are researching other possible Mazon sites daily.

Best of luck to you!