Help Identifying This U. K. Chalk Fossil....

Tiger25

I phones work just fine.

Reduce the image files to be within size restrictions (see FAQ topics).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I looks like it could be part of the keel of an ammonite. It would help to know the general location where it was found (town, region, etc.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm gonna' go with ammonite, too. One of our Brit members might narrow this down. Which chalk cliff?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi, yes, you have a chalk ammonite section; I am unable to comment on the species. Your "lobster legs" are Marcasite nodules. Best of luck with some more finds!

Regards,

The picture isn't very clear but near the smaller end it has the same curvature you would expect from a joint to allow movement in the legs, also the inside resembles that of a crystallised flesh like you get on the inside of belemnites. I will try and find some more.

The picture is clear enough, definitely not lobster material. Lobsters in the chalk are incredibly fragile so would not survive without a chalk base and there will only be chalk inside as only the outer layer of carapace is preserved (and they are mostly pink in colour). Marcasite, what you have, will look like a cross section of a belemnite as that is the way the pyrite forms, once split it will have lines protruding from the centre. If you split this specimen to get a new cross section you will find it glimmers gold for a few days or weeks before it oxidises - sometimes I split ones I find and coat them in PVA to make them last for a while.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

It seems like a nice area, for sure worth some more visits. With the chalk the rare finds come with persistent collecting, the good bits are out there to be found.