Unidentified Sloth Tooth

trempie4

Hello All,

I picked this up somewhere in FL years and years ago an would like some assistance in ID. I have no location details.

Dimensions are: 3" x 2.25" x 0.375"

Thanks in advance.

post-7718-0-67323700-1382531468_thumb.jpg

post-7718-0-58363100-1382531489_thumb.jpg

post-7718-0-50016800-1382531507_thumb.jpg

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

That's what I was thinking, sloth teeth wouldn't have the striation segments and are different in shape with a chewing surface on one end of the tooth----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

good to see you online again, joe.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I think Joe is correct in identifying his tooth as a sloth tooth. Ray mouth plates have very distinct lines that separate the teeth and would be visible on both sides.

Here is a sloth tooth with similar cracks. It is from the NC Fossil Club website www.ncfossilclub.org

post-2301-0-23301500-1382543606_thumb.jpg

I agree this is not a ray mouth plate, this does appear to be a partial sloth tooth that's missing the enamel on one side.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I have seen a lot of sloth teeth and I do not recognize this as Sloth even the one Al Dente is showing. Let's set a direct photo of the chewing surface. Also while I admit the lines on the sides of these two are similar to each other, it is not a pattern that is common to Sloth teeth --

This is different, I do not know what type of fossil it is --- but to verify as Sloth I think we need a tooth that has similar segment lines on the sides and a normal sloth chewing surface.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Let me just toss this out there:

Could it be a well-worn plate from a mammoth tooth?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it is the front or back surface of a sloth tooth similar to this tooth (picture borrowed from Paleoenterprise web site)

post-2301-0-30000500-1382554365_thumb.jpg

Here is another similar fragment also from paleoenterprises:

post-2301-0-19191500-1382554796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Al Dente

What about the 'enamel sandwich'?

post-423-0-31682700-1382556921_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

What about the 'enamel sandwich'?

attachicon.gif~~.jpg

Not enamel. Sloths have a hard osteodentine and a softer dentin. In the first photo in post #9 you can see this on top of the tooth.

...Sloths have a hard osteodentine and a softer dentin....

That is why I am questioning the sloth proposal. Does any part of a sloth's tooth have the raised, transecting shiny area I've marked? Is this the harder osteodendine? Is that the ridge in the center of your post #9 photo? This one seems to be a much thicker structure.

You guys are phenom..... If I hadn't of disappeared from the site for reasons other than sheer ineptitude, sheer ineptitude would have been sufficient.

Thanks for the insight.....

Dan W: Good to hear from you, I hope you've been well. Sadly I'm no longer getting out to TX.... Major disappointment

Joe...

(evolution ROCKS....)

OK, I believe; now I just want to understand :)

If it is a sloth tooth, it is a split Eremothere. I just can't see enough detail on the photos to be 100% sure.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I have no clue what it is, but I love seeing these posts on interesting finds! keep it up everyone!