Good Creeks In Desoto County?

wunderkammer

Hasn't been too much rain in the the last few weeks so I thought I'd go down to Arcadia where I hear is rich in fossils. Does anyone know of any shallow creeks down there that are good to search in? Still waiting for the peace river to go down some more.

Any of the tributaries of the Peace can have fossils.Look for black gravel and sift a few spots.If you find any teeth or bone you are on the right track.Good luck,Jeff

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hasn't been too much rain in the the last few weeks so I thought I'd go down to Arcadia where I hear is rich in fossils. Does anyone know of any shallow creeks down there that are good to search in? Still waiting for the peace river to go down some more.

But,,,but,,but ---shallow creeks in Desoto county are generally on private land. You have to get permission or else you are trespassing and subject to penalties. The creeks that may be searched are Horse Creek, Charlie Creek, Joshua Creek, etc They are all good to search in, but like the Peace River are all high and deep right now.

The Peace River in Arcadia, Brownsville, and Gardner are all dig-able and have some low water gravel. I have found some nice smaller fossils like this one in the Peace River in Arcadia in sight of the route 70 bridge.post-2220-0-90643400-1382663598_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

gills and a fish tail would be perfect! and ofcourse fish eyes because human eyes wouldn't work quite as well under water...

Well,with no rain you may have better luck next week.Did you go to the Peace?I haven't been there recently but my local creek here went down a couple feet the last two weeks.

I went to that creek that forms next to peace. Joshua creek. I was walking/swimming the whole time though. I still had fun even though I didn't find much. a family of wild pigs kept me company and so did 3 deer who saw the wild pigs and scattered.

I've hunted Joshua creek a few times.There is plenty to be found there but if you were having to swim it was def a little too deep.I used to park on 17 and head downriver but they closed off the area I used to park at on the east side when they built the new bridge.A friend of mine still parks by the bridge but I didn't want to risk getting towed.I did do better there though than where the creek joins the Peace.Do you hunt up in Polk county in any creeks or is there nothing to hunt but the mines?

a family of wild pigs kept me company and so did 3 deer

that sounds so enchanting! you are so lucky to be able

to swim and play among the wild things~

I'm pretty brand new to hunting fossils so I've just been researching places outside of polk to search at. I've been to hogtown creek, venice beach, and Joshua creek so far and have a small box full of sharks teeth, petrified wood, turtle shell pieces, and a few unidentified things. I did search at a lake here in polk county though and found some trace fossils of invertebrates which was pretty neat too. I try to look somewhere any day in the week I'm off work! I have a huge natural kistory collection of things like skulls, hides, and things in jars. Would like to add some nice fossils to my wunderkammer :)

a family of wild pigs kept me company and so did 3 deer

that sounds so enchanting! you are so lucky to be able

to swim and play among the wild things~

It was pretty enchanting! They were sortof following me cautiously on the side of the bank for a while. They made me a bit less anxious about being about there by myself early in the morning. And the 3 deer I saw were beautiful even though they were only there for about 30 seconds.

things like skulls, hides, and things in jars.

understood- after a while you run out of places for turtle shell, seaglass, sharkteeth, dugong bone....