N J Cretaceous Tooth Id

Mike and the Megs!

Found this in the Ram in New Jersey. Can't seem to find anything at all similar to this and am really curious as to what this belongs to. Ill try and post more pics if anyone thinks that will help. Thanks

post-5168-0-23710600-1382579483_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-09631900-1382579499_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-59575300-1382579535_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-62053000-1382579548_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-26232500-1382579560_thumb.jpg

Honestly it looks bear-ish to me but I am far from an expert. Needless to say, I wouldn't believe this to be an actual cretaceous tooth.

Edited by bierk

Yea I think you might be right on the money B more. Thanks. Also very curious what others think as well tho

It is a bear tooth, a lower third molar. Can you measure the length and width in mm.?

The only two possibilities are Tremarctos floridanus or Ursus americanus. The lower m3 of these species are about the same size, and the morphology is rather variable, so it can be really hard to tell them apart. Ursus americanus tends to be longer relative to its width. Just on biogeographical grounds of the known occurrences, it is most likely to be the black bear, Ursus americanus.

Needless to say, it isn't Cretaceous. The creeks in southern New Jersey commonly produce Pleistocene and recent mammal and bird fossils.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I don't have anything that shows mm ( crazy I know) but I converted the in. Measurements. It is 19mm long by 15.8mm wide