Found On The Attic - Fake ?

gizmoteck

• New Members

Greetings everyone, if possible i would love for everyone with an expert eye have a look at this and tell me if it's a fake or not .. and perhaps ID the fossil. It was found by Accident in the atttic of a relative's house.

post-13545-0-40836900-1382613805_thumb.jpg

post-13545-0-46002400-1382613810_thumb.jpg

post-13545-0-17948200-1382613818_thumb.jpg

thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Your piece has the appearance of a 3d fish fossil of the type found in Brazil. Is there a family connection to that locale?

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hello,

I recently stumbled across a few of these while working at the museum.

They are referred to there as "Brazilian Fish Loaves"

The few that the museum has come from the Santana Formation in Brazil and are Cretaceous in age. I believe mostly around 100 million years old.

I really don't know how rare they are but in a museum with over 60,000 specimens they only have 3 of these.

Hope that helps maybe someone can add more.

-Sully

• New Members

i would like to thank everyone for their time and effort,

Snolly50 i come from Greece and my family has no connection whatsoever although that relative of mine was an avid collector of weird things,

Sully thank you so much for that info, i could upload more photos and crops with details if that would help with the identification.

Unfortunately i don't have any information on how my relative came by this fossil, when he got it and from whom. One thing is for sure he has never traveled to Brazil.

On another note i am seriously starting to get interested in fossils after coming on this forum and definitely start reading on the subject.

Rhacolepis buccalis Agassiz, 1841 from the Cretaceous of Ceara, Brazil (Santana formation). Very common fish, sold by the thousands.

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

• New Members

Once again thank you all very much for your time .. and this will be item No1 in my new collection and hobby.

These fish seem to travel the world a lot better than your Greek family does. Indeed they are common site at many rock and fossil sales, so it easy enough to imagine someone bought it in Greece.

Here we witness the inevitable slide into fossil-mania. Poor fellow never saw it coming...

Once you get bitten, That is all she wrote! Interesting place to get hooked for the first time - In An Attic!!!

Yeah, usually we find one in a rock outcrop somewhere first.

I wouldn't have though those fish were that common, I still have not come across one (at least not that I could afford) - certainly at the shows I've been to they aren't exactly abundant... ?

Here we witness the inevitable slide into fossil-mania. Poor fellow never saw it coming...

True!!!

(wanders off grumbling about the fossils that keep invading my dreams)