Hungry Hollow Oct 24, 2013 Crinoid Calyx And Other Fun Stuff

lmacfadden

Made it to the South Pit of Hungry Hollow today for 3 hours and found a few interesting bits.

The most interesting was the crinoid calyx.

It's amazing what a little rain will uncover.

post-11011-0-62076900-1382667594_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-90032700-1382667683_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-29792300-1382667641_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

WOW, you had a great day hunting! What are the flat round ones on the right in the second photo?

Jed

Thank you Jed... the flat round things are Microcyclus. We do find a lot of them in Arkona, but I can't resist taking them home with me!

Edited by lmacfadden

Wow! Those look amazing! Looks like you have a trilo in there and some of those crinoid step pieces look phenomenal!

Wow! Those look amazing! Looks like you have a trilo in there and some of those crinoid step pieces look phenomenal!

Thanks Mako... sure was fun hunting for them even though it got a little cold at the top of the hill! Might just try it again tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Neat assortment Lise! With all your experience at Hungry Hollow you've really developed an eye for the uncommon finds. I found the usual stuff when I was there my first and only time in mid-August. (I'm the guy from Pennsylvania that you met in the pit that day.)

I hope to get back next summer and find something new.

Nice haul! Little bit of everything there.. Is that a conularia or another trilo there just below the 1st trilo? (2nd pic)

Neat assortment Lise! With all your experience at Hungry Hollow you've really developed an eye for the uncommon finds. I found the usual stuff when I was there my first and only time in mid-August. (I'm the guy from Pennsylvania that you met in the pit that day.)

I hope to get back next summer and find something new.

WOW how awesome! Yes, I remember meeting you as you stepped off the trail at the North Pit. We really do have some awesome stuff in Hungry Hollow - especially after a good rain. It never ceases to amaze me what a good amount of erosion will uncover! Hope to see you there again next summer!

Nice haul! Little bit of everything there.. Is that a conularia or another trilo there just below the 1st trilo? (2nd pic)

Thanks Wrangellian - I'm really not sure what it is but I have a hard time not taking bits and bobs that I find even if I don't know what it is exactly. I'll have to take a closer look at that... I assumed it was a flattened piece of trilobite.

Is that a gastropod on the calyx? I like the little Tornoceras!

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Mikey

Hey Mikey - yes, that's a gastropod on the calyx, isn't that cool?

post-11011-0-32178100-1382834159_thumb.jpg

Thanks Wrangellian - I'm really not sure what it is but I have a hard time not taking bits and bobs that I find even if I don't know what it is exactly. I'll have to take a closer look at that... I assumed it was a flattened piece of trilobite.

I do recommend taking bits and bobs even if you're not sure what they are but you know they're something...

I once found something (when I was a kid) at one of my local sites and while I did not know what it was at the time (my imagination said 'jellyfish' but my reason said 'not likely, but you never know', so I kept it)... I finally took a closer look at it some years later and it turned out to be a flower! (or flower-like fruit, I'm told - whatever)

More recently I found sponges the same way.

I didn't notice the gastro on the calyx.. That is cool. There is an 'associations' thread recently started by nala (Gery) which this would qualify for...

Platyceras on the arthroacantha is my favorite, but the roller is mighty fine too.

Did he clean up ok? Needs his own pix!

Found everything except blastoids that day, lol.

Oh wait, I remember somebody finding one...

Platyceras on the arthroacantha is my favorite, but the roller is mighty fine too.

DOH! Yes, that's true. That means I must find two next time!

Roller did not clean up as well as I would have liked but I'll see if I can get a good photo of him and post it here shortly. :)

Mikey

Here is a better photo...

post-11011-0-18886000-1382968418_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

OK here are his own pix... I tried to get in close but could not get it to focus the way I wanted. Hopefully these will do.

He's a fatty but he did get a little smooshed over the last few hundred million years.

post-11011-0-61113700-1382968495_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-44987100-1382968511_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-83377300-1382968568_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-91553900-1382968584_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-87636100-1382968608_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-03179400-1382968646_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

Here is a better photo...

attachicon.gifOct25-2013 008.jpg

That is, for a lack of a better term, cute! Isn't it nice to find a fossil cleaned by MN and all you have to do is pick it up? I have always been a digger and shale splitter but some of my best finds lately have been surface collected. I have a site here in NY that is Middle Devonian and it's a surface collecting site only where you can find blastoids, crinoids, brachs, gastropods, and pleurodictyums. it would be nice to see your finds of that day all displayed together in a Riker Mount.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

That is, for a lack of a better term, cute! Isn't it nice to find a fossil cleaned by MN and all you have to do is pick it up? I have always been a digger and shale splitter but some of my best finds lately have been surface collected. I have a site here in NY that is Middle Devonian and it's a surface collecting site only where you can find blastoids, crinoids, brachs, gastropods, and pleurodictyums. it would be nice to see your finds of that day all displayed together in a Riker Mount.

Mikey

I agree Mikey - I'll have to find some Riker Mounts that are big enough to hold a day's find. I would love to come to NY some time and hunt there... maybe some time next summer.

Very nice finds. With the cold weather coming, you'll have to take a trip to Florida for shark teeth. :D

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Very nice finds. With the cold weather coming, you'll have to take a trip to Florida for shark teeth. :D

Absolutely! I don't know why I didn't search for them all the other times I've been to Florida. But next time for sure!!

Wow! well done!

Thank you Nenando - I'm sorry the season is wrapping up but I hope to get a few more hunting trips in before the snow!