Finally, A Fossil From Southeast Missouri - Not Much Though

sward

I took some time this morning to try searching a new creek. Based on my maps and research, most of this creek runs through the Bailey Formation (Lower Devonian).

Right after I entered the creek at a bridge, I came across the carcass of a recently killed buck. There was no apparent cause of death, but the antlers had been sawed off. It appeared that someone may have pulled onto the bridge and just dumped the carcass over the edge of the bridge. I'm constantly amazed at what people will do.

post-6450-0-58125700-1382735676_thumb.jpg

The outcrops were not extensive and the creek bed was full of chert.

post-6450-0-46793500-1382735855_thumb.jpg

I was able to find a few pieces that I decided to bring home to check out a little closer.

post-6450-0-72833700-1382736098_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-63624400-1382736257_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-01694800-1382736376_thumb.jpg

The second one above appears to possibly be a coral once I've done some cleaning. The area to the left seems to be "ribbed" while the piece to the left seems to be smooth.

post-6450-0-29833700-1382736580_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-11732900-1382736713_thumb.jpg

As I learn more about the geology of the area I hope to continue to narrow down areas to search. I'm enjoying this learning process tremendously.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I think your coral is a trilobite pygidum actually.

I was hoping the same thing because of the regular "ribbed pattern" I was seeing, but I didn't want to get too excited. I plan to try to prep it a bit more tomorrow to see if I can expose more of it.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

This whole process has left me...

post-6450-0-10568500-1382738802_thumb.jpg :wacko:

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

...I think your coral is a trilobite pygidum actually.

Yuppers!

I was hoping the same thing...but I didn't want to get too excited...

Pay dirt :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Pay dirt :)

I brought some similarly marked stones home to look at as well.

It sounds like this creek will be receiving closer scrutiny.

Also, based on some information sent to me from a fellow member while I was making this original post, I have another nearby spot to check for crinoids.

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

The discontinuous axial furrows suggest a Dalmanites pygidium. Congrats on your first Missouri trilobite! :fistbump:

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

Thanks! This find is in part because of some of the information you had sent me in the past about the area. I've been trying to put it to good use.

One of the papers I received was "New Species of Silurian Dalmanites from Southeast Missouri". If this is a Dalmanites as you believe, would this actually be Silurian rather than Devonian, or did Dalmanites exist in the Devonian as well?

Based on my maps, this creek runs through a Devonian area mainly, but that is not to say there's not Silurian exposed upstream.

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Thanks! This find is in part because of some of the information you had sent me in the past about the area. I've been trying to put it to good use.

One of the papers I received was "New Species of Silurian Dalmanites from Southeast Missouri". If this is a Dalmanites as you believe, would this actually be Silurian rather than Devonian, or did Dalmanites exist in the Devonian as well?

Based on my maps, this creek runs through a Devonian area mainly, but that is not to say there's not Silurian exposed upstream.

There are a few lower Devonian as well as Silurian Dalmanites. GerryK was attempting to sort out the Silurian-Devonian boundary for the trilobites he posted previously in the "Missouri Trilobites" thread.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png