Devonian Curiosity

curious-explorer

• New Members

Hi,

So I was walking along a stream in Allegany County, NY and found this. I'm still really green when it comes to identifying fossils so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. It looked to me like there are some crinoid stems pushed up against the side of whatever this is. Is this correct? Also, there were shells embedded into the surface of it.

-Thanks,

Curious-explorer

post-13541-0-86743300-1382759601_thumb.jpg

post-13541-0-06376000-1382759771_thumb.jpg

post-13541-0-43441600-1382759848_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TFF. Without being able to see closer detail I would say those are trace fossils (burrows). I'm not sure what the big thing is but the shell on the right is a spiriferid brachiopod. More photos!

You have a nice chunk of ancient seafloor. The shells are brachiopods, and the 'stick-like' features could be bryozoans, or they could be in-filled burrows.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome from Rochester NY. This looks way to big to be a burrow. I think it's the weathered internal mold to a straight shelled nautiloid. After the animal died the shell filled with seafloor sediment rich in shells and the external shell of the animal would disolved away leaving a cast. The bryozoans attached to the ceph shell as it laid on the seafloor and were covered by sediment and preserved.

That's what this looks like to me!

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

• New Members

Thanks so much everyone, both for the warm welcome and the awesome explanations you guys gave. I really appreciate it!

Welcome from Rochester NY. This looks way to big to be a burrow. I think it's the weathered internal mold to a straight shelled nautiloid. After the animal died the shell filled with seafloor sediment rich in shells and the external shell of the animal would disolved away leaving a cast. The bryozoans attached to the ceph shell as it laid on the seafloor and were covered by sediment and preserved.

That's what this looks like to me!

Mikey

So you're sure those are bryozoans and not inchos?

I like the burrow theory also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

No not sure they are bryozoans just going on what I can see in the pics and others comments but I can easily see a penny. If that's a burrow then please tell me what could leave such an even, large burrow during the Devonian?

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I don't know what the large thing is but I was thinking your bryos were burrows. I'm not sure either, though, without a closer look.

No not sure they are bryozoans just going on what I can see in the pics and others comments but I can easily see a penny. If that's a burrow then please tell me what could leave such an even, large burrow during the Devonian?

Mikey

I think the cephalopod theory is a good one but my first impression was a gutter cast. I have seen them be very even and regular. Curious-Explorer, you should look for more of these at the same location and if you find variations then it may be a gutter cast. Those are sort of like trace fossils although they were created by currents not critters.

a mere two cents worth...

ER

• I found this Informative 1

I think the cephalopod theory is a good one but my first impression was a gutter cast. I have seen them be very even and regular. Curious-Explorer, you should look for more of these at the same location and if you find variations then it may be a gutter cast. Those are sort of like trace fossils although they were created by currents not critters.

a mere two cents worth...

ER

That makes sense!

led zeppelin