Trilo Pygidium. Arkona, Ontario. Genus?

Ridgehiker

Snowing today. Cleaning up the collection.

This is a Mucrospitifer brachiopod with the evidence of a trilobite tail. Brach specimen is about 3cm in width so pygidium quite small.

Any ID of the trilobite is appreciated.

post-12698-0-30460400-1382899984_thumb.jpg

post-12698-0-70299800-1382899998_thumb.jpg

It's an asteropyginid subgenus of Greenops: Neometacanthus

Here is the figure from Ludvigsen:

Neometacanthus.jpg

Ludvigsen, R. (1979)
Fossils of Ontario - Part 1: The Trilobites.

Royal Ontario Museum Publication 1-96

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice find! Two for the price of one.

Congratulations.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Greenops, or a really tiny menorah. :)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks for the Greenops info. I'm not a trilobite guy.

Herb, Funny. Still laughing. A bit of a twist...way back in the 70,'s I found trilos on various field trips and traded them to the geology prof for some ancient silver Roman coins. I suppose I was like Judas and betrayed my trilos for silver. Never noticed the pygidium ( menorah) on this one.

Piranha, your breadth of knowledge blows me away! And Herb, also a most knowledgeable fellow, an early Happy Hanukkah to you!

It's an asteropyginid subgenus of Greenops: Neometacanthus

Here is the figure from Ludvigsen:

attachicon.gifNeometacanthus.jpg

Ludvigsen, R. (1979)

Fossils of Ontario - Part 1: The Trilobites.

Royal Ontario Museum Publication 1-96

The trilobite Neometacanthus illustrated by Ludvigsen was redescribed as Bellacartwrightia jennyae

On 10/28/2013 at 6:11 AM, GerryK said:

The trilobite Neometacanthus illustrated by Ludvigsen was redescribed as Bellacartwrightia jennyae

Hi Gerry,

Sorry for my oversight as I certainly know better than that! Credit where credit is due:

Lieberman, B.S., & Kloc, G.J. (1997)
Evolutionary and biogeographic patterns in the Asteropyginae (Trilobita, Devonian) Delo, 1935.
Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 232:1-127

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Northstar,

You say the mucrospirifer is from Arkona. It looks like Widder Fm., but you do not say. I was wondering if it was collected in situ from the lower Widder or from the the Arkona Formation?

Was not aware of Bellacartwrightia jennyae as occuring at Arkona. Only Greenops widderensis and Stummiana arkonensis although the genus Bellacartwrightia does show up in the Hungry Hollow Member. Thanks.

Arkona mike...you could be right. We collected 'in that area' back in the 1970's on a geology field class. A whirlwind tour through some Ontario Paleozoic sites. Anyways, there were buckets of these Mucrospirifers. I was more interested at the time in rugose corals.

I have Mucrospirifer with epifauna but the pygidium is more an artifact of preservation. Is this a common occurrence on brachs from the area?

Edited by Ridgehiker

Hi Northstar,

It is indeed uncommon to find trilobite material attached to brachiopods at Arkona. Mucrospirifers can be very common in some beds. I was very interested in which formation your brachiopod came from. Greenops or similar looking trilobites are common(Incomplete specimens) in parts of the Widder formation where Mucrospirifers are also common. In the underlying Arkona Formation one can also find Mucrospirifers. Stummiana (An Asteropyginae) is reported from the formation, but only weathered out specimens have been found(a few) collected in talus material. Have never found this trilobite in situ from the Arkona Formation. Thats why I was so interested because if it came from the Arkona Fm. it would be an even more important find. Arkonamike.