South Dakota Matrix,teeth,claws?

nala

I just received from a wonderfull exchange these pieces of matrix,but my friend had those only with"south Dakota"for ID

I think it could be Cretaceous ,there is this squalicorax in itpost-2325-0-14773400-1383063336_thumb.jpg

but do you have an ID for this?

post-2325-0-83981200-1383063424_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-32671800-1383063438_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-87810700-1383063450_thumb.jpg

and this?

post-2325-0-89510800-1383063525_thumb.jpg

Most of those appear to be cretaceous shark teeth. You might want to try "Oceans of Kansas" find the page that says "An overview of shark teeth", or something like that. That should help with ID's. I doubt you will find any claws in your samples. If you dissolve some of it I would bet you could find a few micros in there. Stuff like Rhinobatos and other small fish and shark teeth.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the help Ramo :) The squali seems to be falcatus the two others seems to me impossible to ID without the root,this matrix is very rich !

Yes, it's S. falcatus, others are blade only, some split, and could fit any number of Cretaceous sharks----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nala,

It's hard to say for sure but that does look like Carlile Shale matrix (Turonian age) known from a few South Dakota sites. It can be very rich in fossil fragments with some good shark teeth mixed in.

Jess

I just received from a wonderfull exchange these pieces of matrix,but my friend had those only with"south Dakota"for ID

I think it could be Cretaceous ,there is this squalicorax in itattachicon.gifIMG_7221.JPG

but do you have an ID for this?

attachicon.gifIMG_7263.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_7265.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_7267.JPG

and this?

attachicon.gifIMG_7280.JPG