Any Good References To Recommend For A Noob?

snailgeek

Rather than fill up the Fossil ID forum with one fossil after another, I thought I should read up a little bit so I can at least recognize the easy ones. Anything to recommend?

Depends on what you are collecting. Many folks start with the Audubon Fossil Guide and expand from there. In a nutshell you can go from these very generalized guides that cover large regions or even world wide forms to more specific references on localized formations or tome periods. Not sure what the state of Michigan has available but most states do have a geological survey and publications and maps for sale.

Besides a misidentified trilobite and a few typos this looks like a good overview and starter guide for Michigan fossils.

Kchodl, J.J., & Chase, R. (2006)
The Complete Guide to Michigan Fossils.
University of Michigan Press 109 pp.

PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree with erose. It's part of their field guide series and has a lot of general information about fossils and stratigraphy and time divisions helpful to new collectors. The pictures are great and all in one place, divided into similar looking specimens rather than related species. They have page numbers referring to text in the last half of the book with more information and chapter headings that include lots of descriptive information. This helped me learn a lot about the morphology especially of extinct creatures. The books in this series are great for other topics and also vinyl bound and small for taking into the field.

I like the Smithsonian Handbooks fossil guide. It is small, has lots of good pictures, and well, did I mention the pictures? (there are over 1000 of them)

Piranha, this is excellent. Saved the pdf and will start reading tonight. Will check out Amazon for the recommended guide books. Info much appreciated!

Piranha, this is excellent. Saved the pdf and will start reading tonight. Will check out Amazon for the recommended guide books. Info much appreciated!

Glad to help out! If you're interested please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you most of the geo-society papers listed in the references plus a bunch of others on the Paleozoic fossils of Michigan.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

For somewhat more technical (but very useful) literature, a lot of papers on Michigan paleontology are available through the U of Michigan "Deep Blue": http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/

Search especially for "Kesling", "Stumm" and "Chilman" for Devonian material.

• I found this Informative 1

Karl A. Wilson
(NY Paleontology): http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

Thanks kwilson! This will be quite useful, not just for paleontology but also some of my other interests. Bookmarking this one.

Edited by snailgeek

Fill up the Forum with posts! That's part of why it is here, to provide a resource for others. Having the pictures, and someone's ID with an explanation of how and why it was identifed is worthwhile no matter how common or rare the fossil might be.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".