Shells Fossils Names?

Moralejoy

Dear Fossil Forum,

There has been some confusion, due (I think) to a language barrier.

I think Moralejoy is asking for help with a school assignment. Can anyone can identify any of the specimens pictured? (He is not claiming they are his, nor that they are necessarily fossil).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since you should be doing some work yourself if it's home work I will give you a suggestion to follow if you like. You have internet access so try using Wikipedia to look up the common names for each specimen and read the article to find the scientific names. Not knowing the location the items were collected in, the best you can hope for is the order or family name of each without knowledge of the subject or access to lots of research material. In the case of the snails and the mixed groups maybe even that is too much to ask and you could offer just the class name. Below is a very general common name for each which you could look up for more detail. I'll list them in order left to right, top to bottom.

Turtle, sea urchin, snail, seahorse, bivalves, snails, bivalves, ammonite, trigonia.

Some of those are the common names for the class or suborder or family. A more proper, scientific version (for example "bivalvia") can be found with a little reading and more importantly you'll gain the ability to find answers yourself.

Hope this helps

Bob

Edited by BobWill