I Love Finding Canines

Shellseeker

I found this tooth Monday --- and a canine always makes my searches worthwhile. I noted that the root was brownish rather than the typical black from the Peace River and I also wondered if it was modern or fossilized.

With the tooth "sharpened" on an opposing canine, I realized this was peccary, tapir, OR modern wild boar. SO could it be a wild boar canine? -- After a search actually not -- Peccary and Wild Boar have similar tusks (Canines), which look very little like Tapir Canines.. This is Tapir so a minimum of 11000 years. The Tapir from Florida was not a currently existing family member, but either the extinct Tapirus veroensis or Tapirus haysii.

Maybe someone will have an answer -- Does the sharpened edge identify the position of this specific canine?

post-2220-0-90096400-1383703787_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yes.

Good answer!!!! It makes sense, So if I position this one as lower left, then the sharpened area is toward the center of the mouth. If I am correct that the upper and lower canines directly opposed sharpen each other, then the upper left canine would have a sharpened area on the side away from the center of the mouth.

If there is an article or pdf explaining this please point me to it. Thanks Rich

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That's nice! Can't beat canines as a reward for a day of screening. I got out Tuesday and the finds were OK, but pretty average until I found a pretty decent peccary tusk, which was my first of an adult size. Makes the day a little more worthwhile.

Your Tapir canine is very cool. For some reason Tapir dentition is one of my favorites.