Jacksboro, Tx\pennsylvanian

Katfish61

My husband and I made it out to Jacksboro yesterday. It was a great day for a trip, the weather was beautiful. There were a lot of things right on top, after all of the rains we've had lately. It seems I picked up quite a bit more than my husband did, he took a nap. So at one point I was the only one out there. :)

I still haven't gotten my book on the Pennsylvanian period, so I need help on a few things. I looked on-line and didn't get all the answers I needed. Sorry for the lighting on the photos, it was getting cloudy this afternoon. In the first one are my finds, I love finding there little fossils.

post-12300-0-32662500-1384222992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

I have so much to learn about this period. So this is one I need help with, didn't find anything like this last time I was there. Thanks for taking a look..... :)

post-12300-0-12748600-1384223495_thumb.jpg

Kathy

Very nice finds, Kathy! That place never disappoints.. Those are Conularids (extinct marine invertebrates)..

I really love those.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Roz! It's a great place.....I surely wasn't disappointed..... :)

Thanks again for the ID on the Conularids, I read that they are not as common as they use to be. I really enjoyed picking up four and in good shape.

Kathy

I am so jealous of people who have a chance to go to that site.

Nice little bivalve in the middle there by the coin..

I am so jealous of people who have a chance to go to that site.

Come on down, I'll show you around...but give yourself at least a week to visit all the other great sites near-by.

Thanks Wrangellian, if you can make it down I'm sure Bob isn't kidding. It would take all of a week to cover the great sites we have in that area. :D

Kathy

What a great haul. Like seeing the molluscs...we rarely find them in similar aged rocks in the nearby Rockies.

However, the conularia is even more of a treat. 3 of them! Although not as much of a visible 'wow' as some other fossils, they are real special to find. Stick them in invertebrate if the month, and they get my vote.

Thanks Northstar, I was very happy when I found them since I had never seen one before. If you look on the penny, you will see the fourth one. They are all in good shape, even the small one. I have been trying to find more info on them. I read they are getting rare to find at the site. Do you really think they fit in FOTM?

Kathy

Come on down, I'll show you around...but give yourself at least a week to visit all the other great sites near-by.

Thanks Wrangellian, if you can make it down I'm sure Bob isn't kidding. It would take all of a week to cover the great sites we have in that area. :D

Thanks, I would if I could. Someday if I ever make/come into some money....