An American Tourist Visits Hungry Hollow

TNGray

I had the weekend off on a business trip so I took a ride up to the Great White North! The blasted blastoffs eluded me but I found a lot of nice stuff. See my report at http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/hungry_hollow/hungry_hollow.html.

Here are two that bedevil me...

20131116_oddity.jpg

It looks like bone on the bottom and the top, well just weird. Part of a fish? Found in the Hungry Hollow formation.

The one(s) below are about the size of a US dime. Part of an echinoid or something? Found in the Arkona Shale.

20131116_oddball.jpg

That's Devonian is it not? The item on the left in the last picture looks like the coral Microcyclus thedfordensis. Many folks would call it "button coral", although strictly speaking, it isn't.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

First photo is of fish plate. The second is of, as stated by painshill, Microcyclus.

Just checked your report. The crinoid calyx was a good find, Proctothylacocrinus I believe.

Edited by middevonian

I'd be "loonie" to try!

Anyways, the button coral pic is the top and bottom views of two similarly sized examples.

Excellent finds Ted! I especially like the Crinoid calyx. I always love finding button corals (Microcyclus).

Was an excellent day for hunting - really enjoyed your report on your website too! Great photos!!

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Awesome stuff! Looks like so much fun. I enjoy seeing the pictures of the ground and all of the fossils that weather out. That crinoid is especially nice, and I'll second the ID. It is Proctothylacocrinus.

Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

I would just like to add a little info on your crinoid calyx find. First, some of the area you were collecting in is talus material from both the Hungry Hollow Member and the Arkona Formation. It can make identification suspect unless one gets to know the fauna of these two very different exposures. Proctothylacocrinus occurs in both of them and is rare in the Arkona Fm. but even rarer in the Hungry Hollow Mb. Your specimen is from the Arkona Fm. It is Proctothylacocrinus berryorum. Described by Dr. Robert V. Kesling in 1971. Go to DEEP BLUE for the publication and look up the Michigan basin archive for photos of specimens of Proctothylacocrinus. Certainly your best find that day along with all the other good stuff you found. Maybe next time that blastoid won't get away! Good collecting, Arkonamike.

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. It was found a few feet below the ledges so the origin was certainly suspect. Being surrounded by rubble from above the ledge, I went with the HH.

I shall attempt to locate the references.

Thanks gain!