Some Ordovician Smithville Stuff

Raistlin

Recently (about a week ago or so) I got a chance to get out (one of the few times this year) and check out a few places with a friend. The first stop found us nothing but a great deal of sticky clay that weighed our boots down quite a bit. I think it made our boots weigh close to ten pounds each (or at least it felt like it).

Eventually though we made our way to a Smithville spot. I found a few decent pieces and my first few Smithville brachiopods.

Here is a sampling of what I found.

SDC11384_zps81421b0c.jpg

SDC11380_zps1a02ba99.jpg

SDC11379_zpsf0bba132.jpg

SDC11378_zpsd02ec5f3.jpg

I found four different gastropods, some operculums, and a few brachiopods. As you can see the one stone has two different gastropods together.

Overall it was just a great day of being out despite not finding a lot of great things. It was just an awesome stress reliever I have been needing.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Thanks. I cleaned them by soaking them in hydrogen peroxide off the store shelf. I have noticed that it tends to clean the clay off really well.

I am really impressed with the huge operculum as well.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Way to go, Robert! :)

Nice to see you have gotten out some.

Very nice gastropods!

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Robert,

There's no better stress reliever. Congratulations on some nice finds. Another formation to add to my bucket list.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Thanks everyone.

squalicorax, the Smithville stuff is silicified and normally found in clay. On occasion you find a larger rock with a fossil on it but the majority of what I have seen are all just as you see them in differing degrees of preservation (some very nice others just crumbles).

Sward, the Smithville stuff is pretty cool. Seems easy to find depending on the spot. One thing I have noticed is that some areas produce more than others. Also some areas have slightly longer straighter operculums than others. The Smithville stuff seems to be more located in the Bollinger county area I believe.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Those are great finds. I love the silicified gastropod material. Reminds me of some Devonian material I've found nearby. Definately worth getting muddy for.