Hunting "meg Alley" In South Carolina

kkborch

A friend and I hunted a stretch of a creek near Summerville, SC that we've named "meg alley". It's a 30 foot stretch of creek that we've pulled numerous megs from in three trips. Here's a few pics of my finds from the previous two weekends. Best find was a big 3" Angustiden. Also found a 2" meg in perfect condition, a pristine 1.5" Angy, whale inner ear bone, small whale vert, my best horse tooth, and a mammal bone. Not sure of the ID on the bone but plan on taking better pics soon for an ID. Enjoy!

Finds from 11/9/2013

f0ff18ab-0f95-41a0-ace3-f7ad918220bd.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Finds from 11/16/2014

Overall Finds

megally1.jpg

3.5" Meg in my shovel!

Back of 3.5" meg (Probably the side I'll display lol)

3inch.jpg

Megs in the creek! (Left is my friends' and the one on the right is mine)

The two megs my friend found. 4.5" and 5"

megs1.jpg

Edited by kkborch

Whoa! Looks like a great trip. Those are some fantastic finds.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Absolutely beautiful teeth there kkborch!

I think my heart would skip a few beats seeing those come up in my sieve.

Nice finds!

Look forward to finding out what the bones are from

Seriously. I've been thinking about those pics all morning. Is this a typical hunt? I would need to change my shorts if I found even one of the teeth you found on your hunt. Great spot you've got there.

Good grief! That is quite a haul! Thanks for sharing those awesome finds with us!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Seriously. I've been thinking about those pics all morning. Is this a typical hunt? I would need to change my shorts if I found even one of the teeth you found on your hunt. Great spot you've got there.

Haha. This is not a typical Summerville creek hunt. My friend and put in a lot of walking through woods and scouting out different places to find this spot. Unfortunately it was a very small section of creek and we've sifted every bit of gravel in the spot during 3 trips there. It's been a very fun few weeks and I'm glad I could share it with you all.

Well congrats. Your hard work payed off. It was definitely worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a wonderful haul! Finding a Meg and an Angy is on my 'to do' list. None of those in Texas! I plan on going to NC and SC to dive for megs in the near future. Just have not figured out where yet.

Jon

Thanks for sharing your pics

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Ahhhh, good ol' Summerville. I have hunted many a time there back when I lived in Wescott Plantation. I know of some really good off the beaten path spots. Who knows, my employment might bring me back.

I hated that there was a group of idiots that would tear into the embankments and cause so much damage that the city passed that ordinance. you CAN walk the canals and pick up teeth but you cannot use a digging tool at all.

One of the best spots was off of Old Trolley Road behind a church. There was a creek in there and you could find butter yellow teeth........until a few guys got in there and tore it up. One time I went out there and I had a guy hows house backed up to the creek, he came out with his camera to take my picture and call the police but when he got there he seen that I was fixing the foot bridge and we talked and he said he had been calling the police out there on people.

I know one spot where the teeth come out blue~! hard to get to, need hip or chest waders and go as the tide is going out.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Sounds like you know some of the good spots! I spent a lot of time researching, driving, scouting, and walking through woods to find the site these teeth came from. It was all worth it in the end. When you head to SC send me a message!

Sounds good to me~! We'll have to meet up by Cottageville and do some digging/sifting off the Edisto also.

If you have a boat, I know of this spot that produces red/orange teeth. I have a nice red angy, orange mako and a killer orange and gray hemi fro mthe spot.

What about that river that 41 crosses there by you? there has to be some places to sift for teeth. I'll send ya some info via PM since you are closer to Mt P then Summerville on some sites.

Edited by AeroMike

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"